PVC pipe chicken feeder

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sukochickens, Mar 22, 2015.

1. sukochickens

sukochickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]
    I thought this was a really good idea and was wondering what you all thought. Any pros/cons you can think of? I think it would greatly reduce the amount of feed wasted.

2. chynasparks

chynasparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2013
    Texas
    I love our pvc gravity feeder. We got a piece that fits over a round chick feeder, the kind that fits on one of those glass jars. Even made a cap to cover it to keep crawling things out. I fill it up and they are good for 2-3 days. So convenient. It's bracketed to the wall of the coop. We can take it down to clean if necessary. A great space savor in our coop. I love dealing with my peeps but I'm all about easy. I don't want everything I do for my flock to resemble work. Call me lazy. Even the poop board we made to fit under the roost bar was done for convience. I think the pic gravity feeder is great. Measure to fit your set up, not too expensive, won't leak, can design to feed tray in several ways to suit your needs so I give it a[​IMG]

3. sukochickens

Mar 16, 2015
    Virginia
    Thanks for the input! We're definitely going to consider it for our coop. Any draw backs anyone can think of?

4. chynasparks

chynasparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2013
    Texas
    The only drawback is I can't see how much feed is in the tube. Not a big deal for me. The other, and this is just about my setup, it's low to the ground and my chickens scratch at the dish. I am considering changing to the elbow cup setup like in the picture. I've had to start a new flock because of predators. I have 5 chicks. Redoing a few things. There's some waste with my original setup because they would scratch feed out. But I'm sold on the gravity feeder.

5. WildfireSmitty

WildfireSmitty Chillin' With My Peeps

A con I can maybe see is height adjustments. Need to find a way where they are not permanently fixed and can be adjusted according to poultry size.

6. sukochickens

Mar 16, 2015
    Virginia
    We're definitely going to go with the elbow joint like the pic. I think it's such an awesome idea! I'm not really worried about being able to see the level of feed either. We're only going to have 6 chickens and I'll check the feed every day regardless.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by