1. HighlandLass41

HighlandLass41 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2014
  2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Check you local prices on plumbing pipe and connections. Where I live the connections would cost more then the wood needed to build the entire coop. White PVC is not UV rated so for long term use you will need to paint it. Chicken wire is easy for predators to get threw, I suggest going with .5 mesh hard ware cloth. Wayfair.com has the best prices I can find anywhere on the hardware cloth and they have free shipping (good thing because shipping alone otherwise would cost $87 for a 3'x100' roll). This is what you are looking for:
    http://www.wayfair.com/Mat-0.5-Mesh-Galvanized-Hardware-Cloth-308243B-308246B-BFJ1003.html

Things can dig under so you want to keep this in mind when building. You might want to use something like a electric fence around the outside to keep things from trying to dig under or if you have an outside dog they might help protect in the night. If you have to get into the run for any reason (sick/ injured bird) it would be hard to access do to the height. While you are looking into PVC coops you might want to look into the hoop coop design and see if you like that design as well (stands taller and easier to construct but still lightweight enough to move with one person). Good luck with whatever you decide!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by