pvc pipe feeder?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenmo, Jan 21, 2015.

1. chickenmo

chickenmo New Egg

Jan 21, 2015
    Henderson MN.
    For the last couple of days I have been looking at making a pvc pipe feeder for my flock because they keep spilling feed everywhere. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to make it and how it worked out for you.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Two Crows has given you excellent links to check out.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Some people on BYC have made very clever PVC feeders, where they can fill them and it lasts about a week. You may want to put "PVC feeders" or DIU feeders in the search box. Chicken people are always tinkering around trying to come up with the perfect feeder and water system. Welcome to BYC

6. chickenmo

chickenmo New Egg

Jan 21, 2015
    Henderson MN.
    Thank you for all of your help,I am going to build one of the pvc pipe feeders tonight.

7. barnaclebob

barnaclebob Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    Many of the feeder ideas i see here don't have any good way to deal with dust that will inevitably clog them unless you let the chickens eat all the food first or you empty it. Are you going to build a trough style? I detailed my improvements on many of the trough designs in a comment on this page:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/sashurlows-pvc-water-feeder

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  8. mrwoodboat

mrwoodboat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    I have used several styles of feeders- drop feeders with bowl, trough feeders, PVC feeders, elbows in buckets, etc. I went back to the 4" PVC feeder with a 10" pc to feed out of. I cut two 1 1/2" holes and cut the area between them out. I then took 2x4 welded wire and made a "cage" that goes around that 10" pc that I can slide around to "open or close" off area for them to feed out of.
    I have had very little waste. The biggest thing to get sorted out is the correct height of the feed trough.

My birds (15) go through a full tube every couple of days- I wish I had made it 42+" tall instead of 34".....

9. chickenmo

chickenmo New Egg

Jan 21, 2015
    Henderson MN.
    I made my feeder out of 4 inch pvc pipe and connected a 45 and 90 degree angel on it and covered half the hole. I'm going to hang it in the coop tomorrow at back height and see how it goes. I have a good feeling that its going to work.

10. chickenmo

chickenmo New Egg

Jan 21, 2015
    Henderson MN.
    My feeders also 40 inches tall.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by