1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

PVC pipe gravity feeders

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by frankenchick, Dec 29, 2009.

1. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    Has anyone here tried the PVC-pipe feeders? I'm thinking of putting these in as the solution to the problem of getting enough feed to the girls, esp. when we are away. I'd hang another feeder, but it's getting a bit crowded in there and the girls have to stay in because of really high winds.

I've seen plans for the feeders, but don't recall anything about how many to install. Assuming a 3' length of pipe for each one (the vertical part, anyway), would 3 of them be enough for 12 hens? How long would the feed last?

2. wing it

wing it Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    long island
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I got some six inch square vinyl fence post scraps at a yard sale, two four foot sections for $1.00 for both! They work great. I used a bolt cutter and some vise grips to cut and wrangle a hunk out of one side at one end, and just set it in a small, high sided rectangle plastic tub, took a length of hay string and supported the top of the post against the fencing. It is DA freaking BOMB!!! They make end caps for it too, but I need to special order them, because the ones that came with the posts were probably used by the people who bought them new. They hold a LOT of feed, and if the hole isn't big enough, just lift a little bit on the post and the little tub instantly fills! I will try to get pics soon.

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I have these, which I made 2 of for $12. I filled the bottom with gravel and DE. I have made a few modifications since these pics were taken. I would reccommend you:

1-Not make them so tall you have to lift the bag over your head to fill them.
    2-MAKE SURE YOU CAP THE TOPS. Stupid doves.
    3-Make them a little shorter. I just bought bigger caps so the feeder is only 5 inches off the ground. The bantys were working WAAAAY to hard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    LareePQG, that is what I had in mind. How many of them would I need for 12 standard hens?

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    [​IMG]

7. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I have 16 standards, and 4 bantys and I use 2 of them. I have seen 4 standards and 2 bantys (standing on top) all using the feeders at the same time.

I also have a HomeDepot 5-gallon bucket feeder on cinderblocks, so I have not seen any squabbling.

8. chynasparks

chynasparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2013
    Texas
    I'm using a 3" pvc pipe and a ferret litter pan. It's working fine but they are still able to kick food out. But I'm not seeing near the waste I was seeing with a hanging feeder. My chickens would bump it, get up under it and feed would go everywhere. ($$). So I made the feeder put it up on a couple of blocks. Still see some feed on the ground and on the blocks. So rather than give up on my feeder I went shopping. I found a dish for $1.99. It's decorated a football and shaped like one. The sides are high so I got it. Slipped it up under the litter pan. It's working well. Flying feed goes into the dish instead of the dirt. I can just scoop it back in the pan when I'm in there. Still getting some in the dirt just not as much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by