PVC pipe waterer

Nazia119

Chirping
Mar 14, 2018
I am having a peculiar problem with my watering system. I am new to raising chickens and so I read multiple ways to provide water. I got me some pvc pipes and elbow joints etc. I pushed it all together (no glue) capped the bottom end, filled up capped the top. In theory when I remove the bottom cap the pipe should hold the water in through pressure/suction/vacuum/ simple physics. My dilemma is that of the two I set up one works and other steadily loses water. I got new caps, I sanded edges to make the less lippy. What am I doing wrong? How could I fix this issue?

:welcome

Can you post a picture of what you are trying to make work? I'm thinking there is an air leak somewhere in your connections. Have you thought of making a horizontal nipple waterer? Depending on your location, will you need to keep your waterer from freezing in the winter? Adding your general location to your profile, will help greatly in giving you information and advice.

Attachments

• 763D2F50-E1BD-4BDF-B6F1-C23F127AE1A8.jpeg
    763D2F50-E1BD-4BDF-B6F1-C23F127AE1A8.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 49
I am having a peculiar problem with my watering system. I am new to raising chickens and so I read multiple ways to provide water. I got me some pvc pipes and elbow joints etc. I pushed it all together (no glue) capped the bottom end, filled up capped the top. In theory when I remove the bottom cap the pipe should hold the water in through pressure/suction/vacuum/ simple physics. My dilemma is that of the two I set up one works and other steadily loses water. I got new caps, I sanded edges to make the less lippy. What am I doing wrong? How could I fix this issue?

Forgive me if this is implied and I didn’t catch it, but they were both made identical, correct?

Yours is near to exactly what I intend to make for my ducks’ watering line (for their run) later this spring. Found something like that on a YouTube video except their example, and what I plan to do, has nothing in the way of suction or whatnot. So... with that said:

I’m not going to be much help on suction-y related issues but I agree with poster above me; I think you’ve got a leak somewhere. I think an easy way to figure out where would be to fill it up with water (as much as it would hold) and maybe add some food coloring to the water? Wherever you see your color appear would be a good place to start looking for leaks.

When I’ve done PVC tasks I have found that sometimes there will be a seemingly negligible warp in them. I chalked it up to transport, abuse in store, human nature, etc. Maybe it isn’t the edges (good job on sanding them anyways!) but maybe a slight warp in a tube or lid. If caulking is an option, caulk the exterior’s points connections maybe?

Sorry I’m no pro and maybe someone with actual reputable PVC experience will come along but these are at least what I would do if it were me.

:welcome

Can you post a picture of what you are trying to make work? I'm thinking there is an air leak somewhere in your connections. Have you thought of making a horizontal nipple waterer? Depending on your location, will you need to keep your waterer from freezing in the winter? Adding your general location to your profile, will help greatly in giving you information and advice.

Sorry, for jumping in here, but how does this work? The bottom can't be open right? Ah I see now, through suction the bottom is open and the top stays closed, so it doesn't leak. Does the one that isn't leaking provide water? Does it just bubble up the tube as they drink?

Sorry, for jumping in here, but how does this work? The bottom can't be open right? Ah I see now, through suction the bottom is open and the top stays closed, so it doesn't leak. Does the one that isn't leaking provide water? Does it just bubble up the tube as they drink?
Sorry, but I would think your leak would be somewhere in the top closure. You could try and screw on top with some pipe tape to seal it. Nothing against it, seems like it would work great, but also seems to be a pain to refill? No?

Back
Top Bottom