PVC ROOST ? (little help please)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gavi, Feb 7, 2014.

1. gavi

gavi New Egg

Feb 7, 2014
    I am building a PVC tractor. And I want to know is a 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe to big for golden sex links to roost on. Or should I run smaller PVC at the top, or is wood better. Or do they care ?
    Any thoughts or suggesting's would be appreciated.

2. sdm111

sdm111 Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    I would use a piece of a tree branch or at least a wood board. Pvc seems too slippery to me.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  3. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    Pvc I would find slippery also possibly cold depending on your location, also depending on how far you span it and how many supports you have it may bend quite a lot with 6 grown hens on it. I went out in the woods where I had previously cut down some maple trees and cut some appropriately sized limbs off of the top, I would use natural tree limb first and if I couldn't get that I would just use a 2x2 or 2x4

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I wouldn't use PVC for roosts either. We use the wide side of a 2x4.

5. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    agree!!!!

6. bluefrog87

bluefrog87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2013
    Dallas, Tx
    I'm building something similar. You can use it but you have to add texture it with another material like a rubber mat or PVC cement and it's fine. This gives a non slip grip but you have to change it every so often. You can use a variety of materials personally I'm looking for dish washer safe cooking mats like thin rubber cutting boards. This way I can hose it, soak it and put it in the dish washer to sanitize it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FPX4G2/ref=twister_B00F1HXJGE

don't use any color in the red family.

7. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas

^This^ The larger flat area is best for them. They do seem to prefer wider vs. narrow.

8. bluefrog87

Nov 17, 2013
    Dallas, Tx
    I think PVC is an awesome material and there is a way to make it work

There is 2x4 PVC lumbar available at home depot. It is typically used for decking so it is strong and has a non slip texture because it's flooring. However adding more doesn't hurt.

Will set up diagram in a bit

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frame-It-All-Composite-Plastic-Timber-Wood-Grain-300001010/100588411

PVC roost are great as long as they have the right texture. They reduce disease because they can be sanitized easier. Wood will never pass a germ test. PVC is a strong versatile material. It has plenty advantages.

9. bluefrog87

Nov 17, 2013
    Dallas, Tx
    [​IMG]
    Ok this is a 5 min drawing that would need to have measurements added but this could be a nice roost. I know the way the concept drawing spacing of the roost bars are off and I have a different number of bars on the bottom vs the top. But it's a buildable concept

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by