1. paul65

paul65 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    SW Pennsylvania
    Has anyone used pvc to make a roost, would pvc be ok or is it to slick my girls like to be on the top of roost but the one i build out of wood is not wide enough for all of them so i was thinking of making one out of pvc
    that way i could make the lower part 3 feet wide and the top part i could make 6 feet wide so all of them can roost on the top. Now i know someone else had to think of this let me know what u all think.

thanks

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Too slick. The risk is them falling while trying to fly up or even at night while sleeping.

Matt

3. firebugfab

firebugfab Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    Texas
    go to Lowes or home depot or the like and get a 1 1/2" closet rod (wood dowel). They are relatively cheap and work great. My chickens roost on one every night.

4. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    They will do better with a 2x4 turned flat side up. Chickens don't grip the rod like a parrot they sit flat on their feet.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  5. Alaska animal lover

Alaska animal lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Palmer, Alaska
    Quote:a 2x4 is cheaper too.

6. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    I gotta disagree a bit. The chickens foot is a gripping appendage and readily conforms to rounded surfaces. They foot locks in a gripped position when the bird lowers itself over it.

Now, they can sit on flat surfaces, like flatwise 2 x 4's and it really matters little which you use. I prefer the rounded type, say a closet rod, stout branch or a 2 x 4 on edge.

Possibly the most important thing to remember is you dont need fancy, costly fixtures for chickens. They only need to be functional and sturdy. Recycled and natural materials do nicely.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2008
  7. paul65

paul65 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    SW Pennsylvania
    Ok thanks everyone guess ill keep using my wood roost.

8. WrenAli

WrenAli Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Lebanon, OR
    Dowel rods were to expensive for me.. I used a replacement broom handle instead. Saved about $10!

On the other hand you could probably glue a little carpet or something to the PVC and that would work to.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  9. Alaska animal lover

Alaska animal lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Palmer, Alaska
    I thought that a flat roost helps them to cover their toes better while roosting and prevents frostbite. I guess they do grip but they are heavy and if they have to hold on they could get sore feet. Just guessing.[​IMG]

I think the carpet would get gross and they would try to eat it.

10. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Keep in mind that chickens in the wild, either jungle fowl or feral flocks, do not roost on carefully dimensioned cuts of lumber. Instead they roost in the lower branches of trees on nicely rounded branches.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by