1. dreamwallaby

dreamwallaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Camden County NJ
    So I decided my chicks needed their run completed first since they were outgrowing the dog crate I put them in in the yard. I built a 10x5 run that is 3 ft high and lite enough to move around the yard, PVC and chicken wire. I was so proud of myself for building it by myself in this horrible heat (been above 90 every day) and being 6 months pregnant. That feeling proud only lasted 2 days when the chicks decided they loved the run and never wanted to come back inside. So here I am in the evening squatting inside this run, duck walking around trying to catch my chicks to bring them back inside to the brooder. Did i meniton Iam 6 months pregnant??[​IMG]
    I REALLY need to finish the coop!!

2. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Maryville, Tennessee
    Don't you know you're supposed to tempt them with treats? Mine would follow me to He** and back for a bit of bread.

3. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    Is it dark outside and they aren't coming back in? If so have a light on in the coop and they will come in, but yes treats always work

4. dreamwallaby

dreamwallaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Camden County NJ
    I bring them in late in the evening when I see them starting to settle. It is still light out, 8pm. I will try the treats and see if that is more encouraging. I bring them back inside to the brooder for overnight and then put them back out first thing in the morning. I'm just suprised they don't want to come inside when it's that late. I would think they would want to be safe in their brooder to sleep.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by