1. okiegirl47

okiegirl47 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2013
    Hello All,

I found a great design for a simple pvc run with a roost. I plan to attach nesting boxes along the back (on the left side of the picture at the end of the roost) and put a small door on the top over the boxes for easy cleaning and so I can collect the eggs easily and a larger vertical door at the opposite end. There will also be roofing over the half of the coop where the nesting boxes will be to provide shade and shelter from the rain. Since I recently lost one of my hens, I want to make this run as predator proof as possible so I plan on having wire across the whole bottom of the run. My fear is that this will prevent the hens from scratching and foraging and ~~could possibly damage their feet. Does anyone have experience with this and maybe some advice or suggestions? Any input would be greatly appreciated![​IMG]

2. goldiethehen

goldiethehen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2013
    This looks like a great run. My only question how cold does it get where you live? Because if it gets cold there, the chickens won't like having a lot of draft. Just something to think about.

Maybe instead of covering the whole bottom in wire, you could bury wire a foot or so deep. You could also follow through with your bottom wire idea, and put 6 inches of sand over it (this of course, is only if you won't be moving the run) If you want to be able to move the coop, which wouldn't be a bad idea (they could always have fresh grass to dig at if you moved it very day or so) you could do something like the Eglu run does, have a foot (the eglu only has like 6 inches, but I would do a foot) of wire coming out over the ground to make it harder for animals to dig under. I can't guarantee this would keep hungry foxes out, because the Eglu has an ability to close the chickens in the little cube coop at night.

I just found this pic of the Eglu on Google Images. You can sort of see the way the bottom of the run sticks out.

Your previous idea could work perfectly too, but I've never had experience with a wire bottom coop, so I don't know how it would be on their feet. Just wanted to give you my ideas[​IMG] Hope this helped a little.

3. goldiethehen

Apr 23, 2013
    Oops! The picture didn't post. Just look up Eglu and you will see what I mean.

4. okiegirl47

Jul 16, 2013
    Thank you, any input is good and much appreciated. I really want to be able to move the run every couple days but I really want them to be able to scratch and if I have the wire bottom they won't. I just lost a hen (my favorite and largest) to what I expect is a raccoon and don't want to take any more chances of losing another. But I can always let them out to run around and scratch as long as I'm with them. We have a lot of hawks here so they can't be out during the day. As far as weather, we're in Florida so we only have a couple really cold days a year but the summer is very hot. I do have shade but I plan on covering one end with a galvanized roof and one side with something solid but light weight. I really think I may have to just go with the wire bottom. The ladies will still be able to eat grass and insects.

5. okiegirl47

Jul 16, 2013
    Almost forgot, I have seen the Eglu and they are really nice. That's what I would have if my budget would allow.

6. Macboat

Macboat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2014
    Looks neat. Do you have details such as dimensions, how they connect the corners, the diameter of the PVC pipe?

7. okiegirl47

Jul 16, 2013
    No and I was looking for that info and couldn't find it. I was going to just go to Home Depot or Lowe's and see what I thought would work best. I do have the instructions for PVC hinges and I think they connect with elbow joints, etc. And PVC cement.

8. goldiethehen

Apr 23, 2013
    Yeah, I feel your pain. We lost the third hen in about three months to a hawk on Saturday. The sweetest hens always get picked on!! My dad went out and made a quick run. We try to let them free range as much as possible, but it just feels mean to let them get killed. I think a wire bottom would work, and if you move it, they will always have fresh grass to eat!

9. sumu

sumu Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2012
    Hi, I made a similar run about 3 years ago our of PVC pipe and hardware cloth. A few things:

1. Mine is triangular shaped - it has never been toppled by wind not critter. We live in Michigan so are prey to possums, foxes and raccoons at the very least, as well as severe winds though we don't get real tornados here and 3 ft of snow.

2. I only used zip ties to attach hardware cloth to the pipes. The pipe fittings are all glued.

3. The coop is attached. I did not cover the bottom of the run with wire as that will hurt the chickens' feet and catch and tear their nails (when they scratch they go all out like it's their job!)

4. Instead I extended a foot or so of hardware cloth on the outside of the run.Digging predators don't have the sense to back off another 2-3 feet and start digging from there. I have had no problems with this run at all.

Just my two cents' worth. Hope this helps

Suzanne

10. vjunebug

vjunebug Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2014
    how many chickens do you keep in your triangular run? How many square feet per bird does this provide?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by