PVC

pvc will break down a in the sun and will not hold up for more than a few years. It will become brittle and break.

You will want to use the grey electrical conduit for anything that is exposed.

we just put this together a few weekends ago. it's not an extended run, but the same concept.
FB_IMG_1521487526319.jpg

note that some of the pipe looks distorted; it is recycled from a larger hoop coop that I made about 3 years ago. The pipe was distorted because of being held in a curve and being in the sun.

take that as it is, anything made with plastic pipe will not hold up indefinitely.

Last edited:
I did a little research on it and I found that if you paint it with a water based paint preferably white it protects it, is that true?

I wouldn't bet on it imo. I guess it would come to what your goals are and your budget. If your going for semi perminate to temperory, than I think it's be fine depending on climate.

But if you want a better investment and something that will last longer, I would invest in aluminum conduit and a pipe bender.

I did a little research on it and I found that if you paint it with a water based paint preferably white it protects it, is that true?
Hard to get paint to stick to PVC, for very long anyway.
Please add your location to your profile.
It's easy, then it's always there!
upload_2018-3-20_19-3-13.png

I would invest in aluminum conduit and a pipe bender
Aluminum....or galvanized steel(EMT)?

I used 3/4" EMT and Tposts for my run:
full

what size t-post and how far into ground? I need something about 5 1/2 ft tall to walk into? So you connect the emt to the post? What did you use to connect the two, looks curved?

Hard to get paint to stick to PVC, for very long anyway.
Please add your location to your profile.
It's easy, then it's always there!
View attachment 1304317

Aluminum....or galvanized steel(EMT)?

I used 3/4" EMT and Tposts for my run:
full

I guess I ment emt. I have never really considered what material it was, just figured it was aluminum...

Your t-post to emt clamp is pretty cool! But why go through all the effort? Do you think you could have just gone to a 1.5 inch pipe and sank the emt directly? Maybe even go so far as to fill the pipe with sand or concrete? It seems to me like the only difference would be lift resistance from the plate on the t post, but is it needed for your application?

The reason I ask, I made several tomato trelises last year with 1.5 inch chain link fence pipe at a farm we were wwoofing at and they held up nicely through the season. I am thinking of doing the same at our house this year, but am now wondering if there is a reason you sunk the tposts rather than the emt.

Back
Top Bottom