Pygmy Doe bout to go into labor!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by 12littlechicks, Jul 31, 2014.

1. 12littlechicks

12littlechicks In the Brooder

May 28, 2014
    Virginia
    So I got a pregnat Pygmy doe for my birthday, we just got her a hour ago and my mom and te people we got we from love right next door said she should have the baby's any minute now!! I'm so excited but should there be anything I need to watch for I have every thing I need I even got some goat nutri- drench to help if they come out weak but I want to make sure I have everything, any help???

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Crowing

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    The best help you can get right now is probably looking up authoritative websites on birthing info so you can be prepared. I don't know of any nutri drench for adult or weaned goats suited to also being given to weak newborns so even if they look weak I wouldn't give them that until I was sure it was designed for that use or safe to use that way.

People here can give you good info overall, but our suggestions will differ widely depending on our experiences and your experience is not able to be guaranteed to be applicable to anyone's info. For example I'd suggest you have raspberry leaf tea on hand, I use it with all my birthing animals, it helps cause contractions and has numerous benefits... But I've never dealt with Pygmy goats and there's specialized info regarding most miniature animals in parturition which does not apply to normally sized ones, so you need to look that up.

Best wishes, hope it goes well. Do you have a prepared birthing area set up?

3. 12littlechicks

May 28, 2014
    Virginia
    She had two, a little girl and boy we just let her do her thing and she and just watched from a stall window

4. chooks4life

chooks4life Crowing

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Good to hear it went well. It's terrible when the first birth you have to attend is one that goes terribly wrong. Generally goats are one of the easiest birthers, but some have terrible experiences. Old farmers used to say it should be 'as easy as defecating' lol. But some modern breeders have made some mistakes there so some goat family lines now have all the issues of some other domestic species.

Best wishes with them.

5. 12littlechicks

May 28, 2014
    Virginia
    [​IMG]this is mason with his momma Alice
    [​IMG]and this is lily

6. chooks4life

chooks4life Crowing

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Thanks for the update and pics. They're lovely. :)

Might be getting goats again myself, soon... They're entertaining and great little livestock or pets.

Best wishes.

7. 12littlechicks

May 28, 2014
    Virginia
    I love watching the kids run well more like hop around

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: