Pygmy Goat Runt

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by hunterrandolph9, Jan 14, 2015.

1. hunterrandolph9

hunterrandolph9 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2014
    Lenoir City, Tennessee
    PLease help me. I just got a 10 1/2 month old pygmy goat doe. i was told she was a runt and that she only weighs 23 lbs at her age. Can she be able to safely deliver kids when she gets older. If so what age?????

2. Apocha14

Apocha14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2015
    Massachusetts
    My two Nigerian dwarf whethers are 30 lbs and the other is 28 all at a year old. Not sure about delivering kids in the future but some goats don't reach their full size until 1/12-2 yrs

3. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    This is your second thread on the subject. Repeated threads with the same subject often get deleted, as it is spamming.

Do not breed her based on her age. Breed her based on her weight. She is far too small for a healthy or safe pregnancy, she will not have a safe delivery. The minimum breeding weight is 40lbs, more is better. If she never reaches that weight, she should never be bred.

You need to take a fecal sample to the vet to check for worms and coccidia. They are two different things, so make sure levels of both are checked. What are you feeding her?

4. hunterrandolph9

hunterrandolph9 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2014
    Lenoir City, Tennessee

I am feeding her Purina medicated goat feed

5. H Diamond

H Diamond Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2014
    What hay?

6. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI

Aye. What type of hay? How much hay each day? How much Purina each day? What mineral?

Like I said, get a fecal done on her. Don't just deworm without knowing what she might have. Also, coccidia, which often stunt young goats, are not killed by wormers.

Weird how that double post happened. Not sure how I did that.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by