Pygmy Goats or Nigerians

SouthernCalBeachChick

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 17, 2011
Southern California
Hey!
I've decided to add a couple goats to our entourage. We've got 2 horses, a pony, 9 chickens...
I think I'd like one of the smaller breeds & can't decide between Nigerians or Pygmies. Any opinions? I'd definitely like "child friendly", although our youngest is 8.

They are both friendly, but I think Nigerians would be the best bet. Both are dual purpose animals... But the pygmies are on the lower end (meat/pet) white the Nigerians are Dairy/pet. I would go with nigerians. I think it is either 3/4 to1 quart a day of milking... Don't quote me on it though! Hope this helps!

Grant

depends on what your looking for, i personally prefer nigis to pygmies but some people prefer the stocky little barrels known as pygmies.
pygmies were developed as a meat breed so they tend to be stocky, heavier than they look, and dont produce alot of milk (enough to raise their own kids, but not enough for you) nigies are a mini dairy breed (though many have teets too small to hand milk) they have a leener look (more deer like) and tend to produce a deacent amount of milk...if you like goats milk id go with a nigi...if your not bothered about the milk either would make a great pet...
you might also want to look into other minis like kinders!

Quote:
A dwarf nigerian from really good milking lines will have nice sized, easily milkable teats with big orifices, so small teats isn't really an issue.

yup, the meat vs milk is the main difference in what the breeds were bred for. i have ND's because i want to be able to milk them
smile.png
ND's also tend to come in more colors, you never really know what you're gonna get if you breed them. so that's kinda fun if you're looking at them as pets.

i have both, as well as crosses and a female boer, who is big but very sweet. my special baby is half pygmy fixed male named Silver, he is so sweet. acts alot like a dog. just for a pet a fixed male of any breed is my choice, but milk and meat were never a consideration, just weed control, love my organic lawn mowers!
big_smile.png

Quote:
you really should have two goats. they really need companionship, a single goat will BAAAH aaaalll daaaay loooong and be sad/annoying. i'm pretty sure you can do AI with them but i think it's kinda more trouble than it's worth unless you're a serious breeder...? i've had my goats for less than year so i'm still not the most knowledgeable about that sort of thing. but i've seen that most people who want to breed without keeping a buck will either arrange a "driveway breeding" where you take your in-heat doe over to someone with a buck, or rent a buck or send your doe to board with someone else's buck for 45 days. i personally just cut to the chase and got a buck.
big_smile.png
seemed easiest hehe.

I just had a similar conversation with an experienced goater and she said the smaller breeds are more susceptible to illness.

ED: Spelling is hard.

Last edited:
Quote:
Did she say why? I am definitely curious since I am getting some dwarf nigerians this spring.

And...HALLO! I notice you're from da UP too, eh?

Back
Top Bottom