Pygmy goats: Pure or not?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by PrinceSandwich, Aug 29, 2010.

1. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    I talked to someone around here that has some Pygmy Goats for sale. He said that they used to have other goat breeds too, and that they crossed bred them together. They say that they just have the Pygmys now and have bred them back to straight Pygmys. Would they actually be purebred again? He said they are around 16 inches tall. I'm going to go and see them soon, and I'll take some pics.

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Well if they retained the pure Pygmy's and bred back to the Pygmy's then yes. If they bred them and used the mixed offspring to breed back to pure Pygmy's then no. They sound like the size of pure though. This will be a must see to make sure type deal.

3. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Quote:I'm thinking that they probably bred the mixed offspring together to get what they have now, but I'm not sure.

4. littlefarm_bighappy

littlefarm_bighappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Sorry, unless they have a pedigree with NPGA, they aren;t "pure" pygmies. Thaey might have a bunch of pygmy breeding, or they might be pure Nigerian Dwarfs. I've seen both passed off as pygmies before.

As a rule- without getting into the complex breed standard- a goat with splashes of white on it is not GENERALLY pygmy. Most pygmies are solid with dark points.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by