Pygmy or Nigerian Goats

BrittTiff1995

In the Brooder
May 22, 2016
South San Francisco, CA
Hi, we live in a residential area. Our backyard is approx 50 x 100 ft. We went to our city and got permits to have 3 chickens and 2 goats. Now I am wondering if the goats would do ok in our size yard. I would get a kennel for them and also a house to sleep in. I was thinking of a kennel enclosure of either a 15 x 20 or 20 x 20. They would be in it only when no one is home to keep an eye on them. We do have the occasional raccoons and opposums that come into our yard. Are they a danger to goats? Which is better a pair of wether pygmies or Nigerian dwarf goats. Thank you for any help you can give me before we embark on this endeavor. We do not have any dogs or cats. Just finches and now 3 chicks.

Wow, you have a very nice city! Even when i had a 100' x 250' lot, I still couldn't legally keep that stuff, you need at least 3 acres where I am. In addition to the kennel and shed, they would need an outside pen, maybe 50 x 40. As you said, the kennel should only be for when you are not home or at night. That way, when you want to keep them contained, at least they aren't cooped up in the shed and have some room to roam around. Then let them out in the pen during the day. 20 x 20 isn't a good size for them to stay in permanently. 40 x 50 is a good size for the pen, in addition to the kennel. That would give them sufficient room to run and play. Don't skimp on fencing, either. They require strong fences. I don't know what you were planning, but use 4x4 or 2x4 field fencing attached to some strong posts. That is a must. Goats can be escape artists, and will escape from weak fences. Make sure there are no gaps, either. If I had to plan out a goat pen, I would use 6' wooden posts 18" in the ground, stapled to 4x4 or 4x2 field fencing, with a strand of electric wire on the top. That would be the ideal setup. Expensive, but worth it in the long run. You skimp on fence, and the predators will get in, and the goats will get out. Never a good thing. Raccoons can kill smaller goats, which is why the electric wire is necessary. Luckily they only come out at night, and you can have them locked in the kennel with access to the shed.

As far as breed, it is your choice. Both are nice breeds that could fit on your lot. If it were me, I would go pygmy.

Back
Top Bottom