pygora kid wether Help.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by mainelass, Aug 7, 2013.

1. mainelass

mainelass New Egg

Aug 7, 2013
    A week ago we got a 4 month old pygora wether. We have never had fiber goats before. He is very lethargic and doesn't seem to eat much or drink his water. How laid back is this breed of goat? Thanks for any help.

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    There is a big difference between lethargic and laid back. I don't have pygoras, but I do have a few nigoras. They're little bundles of energy, they hardly ever stop bouncing.

Asking questions for more information. How do his eyelids and gums look, white, pink, or red? Is his rumen rumbling, is he burping, or is he bloated? What have you given him to eat? Does he have hay available? Could he have gorged himself on grain? Have you taken his temperature, and if so, what is it? If you haven't taken his temperature, do so asap. Does he have any diarrhea? Any coughing, sneezing, runny nose or eyes? Has he ever been wormed or given a coccidia preventive or treatment?

Is he willing to walk or stand, or does he refuse to get up (or wants to lay down as soon as you get him up).

Also, do you have a livestock vet you can call for advise? The internet or a forum does not replace someone who has spent years in livestock health.

3. mainelass

mainelass New Egg

Aug 7, 2013
    His gums pink. ruman rumbling. has hay available. eaten some grain but no gorging and very little grain. Has had ALL his shots and been wormed. No diarrhea. No temp. No runny nose, sneezing or runny eyes. He will stand and walk around but seems to prefer lying in the corner. Today he did walk around and eat some grass and leaves outside. But he still doesn't seem right to me. I am calling the vet in the am. It is a new vet and I wanted some info on angoras. pygoras ect. before I made the call since his breed is new to me. We have a nigerian too and she is full of pep. Other breeds I have had have not acted like this. Thanks for you qestions that helped put it all in front of me in this reply.

4. mainelass

mainelass New Egg

Aug 7, 2013
    Just got back from the vets. Our little lad is severely anemic. We are worming him again. ( apparently the worm meds. used by the seller were ones that goats get immune too) And giving him iron for 7 days. He had lost a lot of blood. We should see results in a couple of days she said.
    Thanks for your input!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by