pyncheon chick Identification

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Opa, May 5, 2009.

1. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    [​IMG]I have three chicks that hatched last Saturday. One chick has a very pronounced crest and the other two have heads that don't seem to have the crest. Is this normal and does it indicate sex?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have no idea but that chick is tooo cute!!!!

3. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    I still think that is the cutest chick in the world!

4. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I had never heard of that breed so I looked them up and found http://www.hinkjcpoultry.com/pyncheonbantam.htm At the bottom of their page they have a couple of chick shots and it looks like it kind of varies as to the puffiness of the crest. Gorgeous chooks though. I like your choice on breed.

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Opa, I am finding the really big knobby ones turn out to be girls most often. The smaller crests can go either way. They don't usually have such large knobs, but the crests will come in as they start feathering in and you'll see little spikey's sticking up off their heads in no time. I would bet the one pictured is a girl. Wanna let us know? [​IMG]

6. citalk2much

Dec 22, 2008
    Question on how the knob falls in the breed standard?

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The knob is not required. It simply means the crest will be bigger, which more often than not occurs on the hens. The backward growing crest (tassle) is required for the standard.

8. citalk2much

Dec 22, 2008
    I can't wait to see it grows up. They are super sweet too walk right onto your hands. I have to say you have great birds Jody!!

9. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    Hink, is that your page that I posted? I can't believe how tiny they look, especially the pic of you holding one. They are so funny with their boufant styled hair, er, I mean feathers. LOL [​IMG]

10. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Hinkjc, thanks very much for the info, I will let you know what they turn out to be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by