1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Q about mating/egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jennyhaschicks, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    I have heard that a pullet will not allow a rooster to mount her unless she is ready to lay eggs. Is this true? My pullets are almost 18 weeks old and are just now allowing the rooster to mount them.

2. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Sounds like an old wifes tell to me!
    The roosters I've seen dont give the pullets much of a chance to object.

3. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I think there may be some truth to it, squatting is a sign that the pullet will be laying soon. Right now I have one pullet laying, and she is the only one willing to let the rooster mate. The others run away and one flies up onto the roof to get away.

4. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Kinda the same as me. My roo, 2 WL and one Jap. bantam are all almost 18 weeks old. The one WL pullet has really gotten a larger red comb in the past 2 weeks or so. He has tried mating with the others and hasn't yet. This one WL pullet that I speak of let him mount her the other night.

I didn't know if anyone else knew about this.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

So squatting alot signals laying? Mine squat all over the place and we only have two laying...

6. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    So squatting alot signals laying? Mine squat all over the place and we only have two laying...

My hens started to squat anywhere from 10 days to a couple days before they started laying eggs. My hens fly up to there outdoor roosts if the roosters enter their run. No squating for the roosters.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by