Q. About Roosters & Laying hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ersula, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Ersula

Ersula Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2011
    Maine
    We don't have a flock yet, but I have a couple questions about how you would maintain a flock like this:

I want a rooster for help protecting our flock (We'll be out with them while they're free ranging though). I wouldn't mind fertilized eggs for baby chicks, although my first goal is to have eggs for eating. Is there a way to do this? If we have about 12 hens & 1 rooster, is there a way to know if some eggs are fertilized (aka don't eat 'em!). Or is this not really possible to have this type of flock?

Thanks for your input!

2. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    HI,

I have 13 hens and 1 rooster. The eggs that I get could be either fertile or not fertile. I do notice however that
    some of the eggs have a little red dot on the yoke. Like the size of a pin dot. I am assuming that the egg
    was a fertile egg. I have my roo for protection because I free range my flock and if I ever wanted to
    have a few chicks running around I do not have to order chicks again. I can just lot old Roy take care of
    that part. For now I am eating the egg fertile or not.

3. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Quote:You can certainly eat fertilized eggs, there's no problem there. I have 7 roosters in with my flock of 41 girls and I eat fertilized eggs. There is no difference in egg taste or calories. It's one extra cell in the egg.

You can do a search at the top here for fertilized egg picture... you can tell if the egg is fertilized or not after cracking it open and looking at the yolk. A ring around the egg on the yolk means fertilized, just a small white dot of an egg is not fertilized. With 1 roo per 12 hens you'll have excellent fertilization rates. I frequently had 100% fertility and hatches on my own eggs with 1 roo per 33 hens. He was a busy boy.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Fancy markets sell fertilized eggs, in many cases, without ever mentioning it. Frankly, 99% of people could never, ever see or detect the difference in any way. Even those of us who LOOK sometimes cannot see the speck. [​IMG]

5. Ersula

Ersula Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2011
    Maine
    Thanks for your input and reassurance! lol I just hate to think I'm eating a baby! Haha I've only had regular house-pets so I'm not accustomed to "the ways of the farm", but I will be! [​IMG]

I'm so thankful for the information that you shared with me =]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by