1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Q about VFW

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by EweSheep, Sep 8, 2008.

1. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    My father in law wanted to join the VFW and I am questioning how would they accept him as one of their members.

Does he have to show them the discharge papers? They asked for it. Why and what would they need his discharge papers for? Background checks?

Does he have to fight a war to join them? FIL never fought any war during his Army services. He was discharged before Vietnam war started to call up our men for services.

What are the quiteria (sp) they need to enlist him as a member?

Can he join ANY VFW ??? He has one in his own town.

He lives in the state of Illinois.

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    And another question:

FIL wants to have a brass plaque on his grave and what are the requirements to have those kind of headstone? I thought they have to serve in a war to get that type of headstone.

If there is a website of requirements of becoming a member of the VFW, let me know!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:The Veterans of Foreign Wars require the discharge papers not for background checks, but to prove actual enlistment in the military. Obviously since it is the veterans of foreign wars he would have to had to serve during a time of war, though I believe any military service during a war is acceptable; he wouldn't have necessarily had to serve overseas.
    He'd probably want to join his local chapter since they have lots of activities for him to attend.
    If for whatever reason, maybe not serving during wartime, the VFW denies him membership, there are other organizations that have a high ex-military membership, so maybe he could check those out.
    My Dad belongs to the VFW, the Moose, the Elks, the Eagles, and the Knights of Columbus.
    As for military funeral honors, those are usually handled by the VFW for anyone (I believe) that served in the military and was honorably discharged; not just war veterans.
    I'm sure the VFW has a website. Just type Veteran's of Foreign Wars into a search engine.
    ETA: The Knights of Columbus is a catholic organization and I forgot he's also a member of the Lion's Club.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    As far as I know, he never left the states. He was stationed at Seattle Washington sometime around 1960 to 1964 but no later than 1965. From what he told me, he got out of the Army before the Vietnam conflicts had a draft. He was an artillery gunner and he has never been in a war with that occupation. He has never been on a "standby" either.

Thanks, I googled the requirements and found that he can only join them if he has served in the war and/or gotten medals for occupation in foreign country. It didnt say anything about soldiers here in the US.

He can join the anxillery group which it would require that it must be your father, spouse or child that served the war. He would NOT be eligible for VFW because it is not transferrable as it stated in the website.

My father would NOT be eligible for VFW because he was on his way to boot camp down in TX at the same time Kennedy was shot. He was not called up on because of his flat foot and his occupation as a nuclear bomber installer on B 52's (I think) and there was no need for him to go. (unclear on that one but the Air Force got their reasons). [​IMG]

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Oh FIL received NO medals for war or bravery. Just his discharge papers. [​IMG]

6. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    He has to have served in combat to join the VFW! There is a caveat however. He could have stayed stateside AND if his unit deployed and was awarded a combat ribbon, he would be eligible. American Legion qualification - served during conflict or wartime, but not necessarily participated - AMVETS - had to have served at least 30 days active duty. see www.vfw.com

Hope this helps!

7. Verboten

Verboten Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Southern Oregon
    Quote:Your father in law is a veteran. You have said that he served and was honorably discharged. He would be entitled to the same government benefits (not much) as those who served during a war or overseas.

Check out the VA website for information about the headstone and other benefits.
    http://www.va.gov/
    VA page with info about headstones and markers:
    http://www.cem.va.gov/cem/hm_hm.asp

There is nothing wrong in serving your country without being in combat - he would have if called upon. I am sure there are lots of clubs that would be proud to have him as a member.

I hope the marker won't be needed for a long time.

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    My husband is a VFW member and OIF/OEF veteran...the requirements are simple...

They must have their DD214 or discharge papers

They must be discharged in any manner OTHER than dishonorable, such as Honorable, General or Medical.

They must have served in a combat unit or a combat zone during a time of war...although the Vietnam CONFLICT waged without an official Declaration of War, it is considered wartime. Also, the DMZ zone in Korea counts.

There is NOT a requirement for the individual to have been in combat...if the individual served in a combat unit during war.

If they are wanting him to join, it may be a good thing for him to do so. They wish to see his discharge papers to verify his enlistment, unit and dates of service. They do not do background checks or invade his privacy in any such manner.

He can join the local branch in his hometown.

They are a great organization and will be at the ready to assist him in any way he may require with regard to VA benefits, retirement benefits and so forth.

Have him check it out. [​IMG]

RE: the grave marker...if he is a honorably discharged veteran, contact the VA and they will give you all the information regarding the markers.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  9. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Actually the award of a combat medal is the deciding factor for membership with the exception of a few campaigns, Korea being one of them. If I am not mistaken, 180 days in Korea automatically is a qualifier for membership. With the exception of Korea a campaign Medal is required and all medals received should be listed on the DD214. If you should have received the medal and it is not listed you can have it corrected and added. Any service officer of any veterans organization can help you with the paper work.

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    He has been honorably discharged after serving his four year term with the Army. After his boot camp, he has been at the Seattle, Washington post for the entire time until he was discharged. As far as his unit goes, I dont think they have served combat but I will ask him to make sure and get the name and unit number to see if they did go overseas or unit listed to be in combat status. He got NO combat or bravery medals at all. Just the single colored bars on his coat.

He does get the benefits from VA hospitals, doctors, etc.

I just remember him made an off comment (when we were watching about Iraq war) that he was GLAD that he never got called in for Vietnam or do any fighting for nothing to gain out of it (rather in a sarastic way).

As for the headstone, he wanted a brass marker with all the eagles, unit name, etc. even he was a private.....so I would assumed as long he did serve his four years term with the Army, he would be able to get it.

He did say that someone sent him a "award" letter to get his "Cold War" medal and he must sign up for it. Makes me think its a bogus and he and his unit was no where near Berlin or Germany or Russia for that matter. I have seen the letter myself, and it looked like one of those duplicate copies like the credit card applications made to fill up your mailboxes. The signature AND the letters are all xeroxed copied, nothing indicate a pen ball making valleys in the paper.

My father gets those military junk mails all the time and he just tosses them in the shredder!

Hubby and I was talking............would he be qualified for VFW even he has left his service and his unit went to war later on? Hubby thinks his unit may not have ever saw war. We can ask for more info when we see our FIL again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by