1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Q: Are these eggs still fertile?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kathryn4629, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Kathryn4629

Kathryn4629 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Colbert, WA
    Question: I have been gone for 4 days and came home to 14 eggs in my nests. I really want to fill up the incubator, this is my first time hatching. Are these eggs still fertile? The temperature has been around 38+ at night and about 50 degrees during the day. Would you try hatching them? Help Please!!

2. 6littlechickies

6littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    I'd put them in, why not? what's to lose? Most folks collect for a few days anyway and those temps shouldn't be an issue either. Get the bator up to temp, put them in, give em a week or so and candle to find out for sure! [​IMG] good luck!

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

They are good for up to 10 days before they start to lose fertility, however, many have set eggs far older and had success.

4. Kathryn4629

Kathryn4629 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Colbert, WA
    Thanks guys! Well I will collect for a couple more days and then attempt my first hatching/incubating experience [​IMG]

5. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    Night time temps here are in the 20's but dips a little lower once the morning sun hits it gets a little lower. I still incubate them anyways.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by