Q: I have a rooster and hens. What should I feed them?

Purina

Official BYC Sponsor
Official BYC Sponsor
5 Years
Nov 11, 2014
A: This is a common question when you house roosters and hens together. They each have different nutrient requirements, but it is difficult to reason with them and to convince them to only eat their feed.

Though hens require consistent calcium, roosters do not. In fact, chickens that are not laying eggs should not be fed a laying hen diet. The amount of calcium in a complete layer feed is almost 4 times higher than what a non-laying chicken needs. Feeding a high level of calcium to non-laying birds can lead to kidney damage/failure. A feed with the appropriate amount of protein and lower calcium, such as Purina® Flock Raiser®, is perfect for the roosters.

If hens and roosters are housed together, consider putting Flock Raiser in a separate feeder higher up for the roosters to access. If he tends to eat “his” feed most of the time, then it is not likely to be an issue. As long as he spends the majority of his time eating Flock Raiser, there’s no need to be too concerned.

If you wish to feed one complete feed to the entire flock, Flock Raiser can be fed to both roosters and hens. Just be sure to supplement with oyster shells to give hens the calcium they need.

Do you have tricks for feeding roosters and hens within your mixed flock? Have a rooster you’re especially proud of? Share your photos and suggestions with us below!

Everyone gets an All Flock ration or a non medicated grower if I'm raising chicks. I keep a separate bowl of oyster shells for the extra calcium needs.

Most of my roosters used to die by age 4 before I switched off a layer, except for the bantams that were fed grower for most of the year due to chicks. Since switching everyone off a layer my roosters are now living longer and looking better.

I myself like to feed my entire flock 5-grain mixes, with oyster shells, and grit without added calcium as main supplements. I also offer fruits and vegetables a couple times a week with daily free ranging for additional nutrients they may be missing.

I have all laying bantam hens (ages 10 mos-3 yrs) and feed Purina Layena but am having an issue with extra calcium deposits on the eggs either the rough coating all around or the bumps. I did try mixing it with scratch grains this summer but am still having the same issue. I do give fresh fruit and vegetables a few times a week, they are free raning in the evening for grass and bugs and they get a flock block every now and then. Any recommendations?

I have all laying bantam hens (ages 10 mos-3 yrs) and feed Purina Layena but am having an issue with extra calcium deposits on the eggs either the rough coating all around or the bumps. I did try mixing it with scratch grains this summer but am still having the same issue. I do give fresh fruit and vegetables a few times a week, they are free raning in the evening for grass and bugs and they get a flock block every now and then. Any recommendations?
Switch to an All Flock or non medicated grower. I switched a few years ago and I never see my extra calcium deposits now. Layer is a one size fits all feed that I don't care for. My birds are better off it now, and the extra protein keeps deficiencies at bay too.

I usually make up a mash, all I do is a mix in there seed, scratch mix, corn, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder with some hot water and then I mix it all and let it sit to cool down for a while. After it has cooled down I then put about 2-4 scoops of the feed into each of the three bowls { which I place all around the backyard } they go crazy for the feed the second they here me dish it up they come running to the door.

Back
Top Bottom