Q on chicken feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BeccaB00, Sep 5, 2010.

1. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    In the morning when I go outside the chickens STILL have feed on the ground. alot of feed. Is there a sertain amount of feed that I can give each day? I know they snack all day, but does anyone know exactly how much one chicken needs to eat per day?

thankss lots
    -Becca

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

You're giving them their feed thrown on the ground?

3. LittleMamaBigPapa

LittleMamaBigPapa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Bellevue, Nebraska
    Not sure exactly what you are asking? Is your concern that they are throwing feed on the ground or do you throw it on the ground, and you are wondering why there not eating all of it?

4. BeccaB00

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Yes I throw it on the ground. We just waste alot of it because they don't eat it and my Q was...is there an exact ammount that a chicken should eat each day?

5. LittleMamaBigPapa

Apr 22, 2009
    Bellevue, Nebraska
    Do not throw it on the ground and you wont waste it...you need a feeder, up off the ground so they cant scratch it out AND so it stays clean and dry.

6. BeccaB00

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    thanks I will work on that. We have them in seperate pens so I will need a lot of feeders. Is there anything I can use as a feeder that will not cost a ton of money? feeders at our feed stores cost like 40 dollars a peice [​IMG]

7. LittleMamaBigPapa

Apr 22, 2009
    Bellevue, Nebraska
    I have seen a LOT of homemade feeders on BYC made from plastic food containers, cat litter boxes, 5 gal buckets, LOTS!! Search the index....I'm sure you will find exactly what you need. [​IMG]

8. BeccaB00

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Thanks I really appreciate it [​IMG]

9. BeccaB00

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    OH! btw! Is there any chance I could use just a automatic dog or cat feeder???

10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Make sure you keep your feed dry so it won't mold. I have read that moldy feed can kill chickens. I have cut milk cartons (plastic) in half and secured them so they don't tip over as feed containers.

Anything to get it off the ground and so they can't step in it to kick it around, which wastes it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by