Q: On Setting Cayuga Ducks (maybe others do this also)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LoveMyBirds, Apr 18, 2009.

1. LoveMyBirds

LoveMyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Ok,, first time to mess with a broody duck.. Not familar with their behavior..

Here's what I have going on with one of my Cayuga hens.

She will set on the eggs 5-6 hrs, then get off about 3 - 4 PM and leave the nest.. I then put them up in their own pen about 6-6:30PM for the night..

I need to know if I should go ahead and rob the eggs or leave them alone.. I hate to loose any eggs by just leaving them if the hen isn't going to stay on them..

Looking for people that has had hens setting before and know the behavior pattern of ducks

Thank you...

2. bugladyleah

bugladyleah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    PA
    I don't have broody ducks, but I have a broody goose and she is doing the same thing right now. In the past, she will sit for awhile then get off the nest until she is "serious" as we call it. She then will pull out some feathers to line it, not lay any more and not leave the nest for any extended period of time. I'd leave the eggs if you want her to hatch them, it sounds like she's thinking about it. Give her a few more days.

Good luck!

Leah

3. LoveMyBirds

LoveMyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Quote:Ok,, great to hear... I'll put the eggs back in... and won't let the other ducks back into the pen.. Because there's 2 hens that lays eggs with her..

I thought that this might be what I needed to do..[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by