Q - Orpington Chicks Splash or Blue??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by fivepeasinapod, Nov 23, 2016.

1. fivepeasinapod

fivepeasinapod New Egg

Oct 21, 2016
    South-East Queensland
    Hi all!
    These little lovelies hatched this morning. They were incubated eggs bought from interstate. (I'm in Australia) Splash Orpingtons...how does the colour measure up? Do they look splash to you or could they end up being blue? Also their legs are dark but the end of their toes are pink - will the whole leg/toes darken as they grow?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Living in a galaxy far, far away...

They look like splash to me, but then again the first color in my head when I saw them was lavender [​IMG] Blue is tough to tell, wait till they have their first set of feathers.
    As to their feet, they'll probably get darker as they mature. Orps do usually have pink/white feet, so I wouldn't worry about the quality. Blue orps have slate feet, right? I can't quite remember...

3. fivepeasinapod

fivepeasinapod New Egg

Oct 21, 2016
    South-East Queensland

Thanks! Yes, blues do have slate feet. I'm not sure where the lavender colour comes in but these eggs were apparently from a splash hen and rooster. Happy to wait and see - Love Orpingtons in all colours anyway!

4. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Living in a galaxy far, far away...

If both the hen and roo were splash then they will be splash. Yes, I love my orps too [​IMG] Have fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by