Q - regarding Dixie Rainbow (aka Pioneer) pullet coloring

nposluszny

Chirping
Jan 3, 2016
Johnstown, NY
I have 3 Dixie Rainbow 7 week old pullets.....and I do not think that they are Dixie Rainbows. All the photos I have seen of them shows them to be multicolored, all different patterns, etc. My 3 are just white. I am not sure if after they molt they will change colors but arter a LOT of time looking at the photos people post of all sorts of adolescent chickens, it seems to me that mine should have some color...I think that perhaps I got some bin jumpers? Will try to get a photoof mine when it's light out if anyone wants to see, but I am more looking for photos of other Dixies, if anyone has some. Thanks so much!

Dixie Rainbows are a hybrid that has a lot of variety in feather patterns....McMurray's site states "no two birds are alike."

I don't think of pure white when I think of a Dixie Rainbow. Typically I think of a red barred, mottled bird. But I've seen photos of those that are buff.

There is a Dixie Rainbow thread you could post on here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/636488/dixie-rainbows-thread/150#post_16981415

Perhaps they'll be able to help you figure out if you've got Rainbows or something else like a White Leghorn or White Rock.

LofMc

Dixie Rainbows are a hybrid that has a lot of variety in feather patterns....McMurray's site states "no two birds are alike."

I don't think of pure white when I think of a Dixie Rainbow. Typically I think of a red barred, mottled bird. But I've seen photos of those that are buff.

There is a Dixie Rainbow thread you could post on here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/636488/dixie-rainbows-thread/150#post_16981415

Perhaps they'll be able to help you figure out if you've got Rainbows or something else like a White Leghorn or White Rock.

LofMc
Thank you!

At this age you should be able to tell what breed/hybrid they are. Certainly not Dixie. If the legs are honking and they are large CornishX is another option to afore stated Leghorn or White Plymouth.

At this age you should be able to tell what breed/hybrid they are. Certainly not Dixie. If the legs are honking and they are large CornishX is another option to afore stated Leghorn or White Plymouth.

They aren't getting bigger than the others yet and the legs seem rather delicate. LOL! They are a surprise! As long as they lay and have good attitudes, I'll be happy.

They seem nice enough, and curious as heck. Thank you!

Yep, that sounds like a Rock...they look like Rocks as well...but check...they should have a red earlobe if White Rock.

If they have a white earlobe, then they may be White Leghorn.

They aren't Cornish Cross as they have fine legs and aren't growing quickly (and wrong body type too).

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom