1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Q/Shortage of Calcium vs. Marek's Disease?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nizar, Sep 17, 2011.

1. nizar

nizar Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    what is the different between Calcium Shortage and Markeks

and how we could increase Calcium.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I don't know if you are asking in regards to adult chickens or growing chickens. Chickens before they start laying do not need a feed with extra calcium. In fact the laying variety of feed has too much calcium for young chickens up to about 18-20 weeks old and it not good for development that is why starter and grower varieties of feed are made.

Here is a link to information about Marek's disease in the learning center. It is my understanding that it affects chickens in the first year of life generally.

With flocks of mixed aged chickens you can put out a bowl of crushed oyster shell "free choice" and feed a growing variety for everyone. Amazingly, only the chickens who need the calcium will really eat it.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by