Q - when to expect crowing? (no pics)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by nposluszny, May 3, 2016.

1. nposluszny

nposluszny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2016
    Johnstown, NY
    So, my first flock of chickens, hooray! I started with 16, lost 1 (appeared to be weak and sickly, was expected) and the remaining 15 look great. However, I am thinking I might be really, really lucky and have gotten all pullets - and some were straight run - and am wondering (approxmately) when a roo would start crowing, if I had one. They are all about 7-8 weeks old, I have read posts on here about their roos crowing at 5 weeks and younger. Mine all appear to be pullets (there was 1 in question but a bunch of BYCers assured that it was a female). Thanks so much for looking! And helping! lol [​IMG]

2. yellowherb

yellowherb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2015
    Florida
    It's different for any rooster and a lot depends on which breed it is and how quickly it matures. I've had some bantams which crow early, at around 8 weeks, but I've had some standards which even at 6 months are now crowing. Generally the slower growers will crow later than the fast growers since it's a matter of maturity.

7-8 weeks is still really young yet. But by about 16 weeks you can expect to be hearing a crow if any roosters are there, you should know before then based on feathering if any are a rooster.

3. nposluszny

nposluszny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2016
    Johnstown, NY
    Great, thanks so much! I'll keep hope that I got really lucky then. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by