Q: Why do my hens lay eggs that are oddly shaped sometimes?

Purina

Official BYC Sponsor
Official BYC Sponsor
5 Years
Nov 11, 2014
A: Abnormal eggs can simply be part of the farm fresh egg process. Sometimes there is a slight glitch in the system and hens can produce eggs that are out of character.

As long as the shell isn’t broken, there is nothing wrong with the eggs other than their appearance. This is a normal occurrence in laying hens. Store-bought eggs are inspected by a machine that detects imperfections in the egg’s appearance. Eggs that do not conform to the expected appearance are directed to another part of the egg industry where shell appearance is not an issue. In a backyard setting, you get to see all the irregularities that occur when chickens lay eggs.

Do you have egg-related questions? Post them below and we’ll get back to you!

Hello There,

It is not really a question... But I have a theory:
The more time you spend with a hen, the better quality eggs.

Is this theory true? I have been wondering! :)

~The Angry Hen

P1060490.JPG
P1060489.JPG

Thanks for the info.

Just picked up two yesterday that were strange...one a partially flattened side and one with a soft-serve ice cream top. IMO the heat stress going on right now is a contributor to the glitch in the egg laying process.

If the hen is happy and healthy she will lay better eggs, but spending time with the hen shouldn't have much effects on the egg production.

Thank you for responding! Yes, I think you are right! :D
When ever I spend more time with my hens, they lay bigger, fuller eggs.

~The Angry Hen

Back
Top Bottom