qestions about quarantine and welcoming our new pair

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nickie, Mar 16, 2012.

1. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    I picked up a cayuga drake and a rouen duck yesterday. They are 6-8 months old, bright eyed, clean, healthy looking feathers. They both are a bit thin, but they were in a circle pen with no greens only a bit of corn thrown down for them.

Currently they are in aarge temporary quarantine pen with lots of water pans and a small pot of my duck feed. They don't seem to have any idea that the pan of lumpy foodstuff is food for them.

My questions:

How long to quarantine them?
    How do I integrate the new pair into my older duo?
    Can I expect the older girls to show the younger two the ropes of where we eat, sleep, bathe, and where home is?

Getting older birds was not my plan, but it has taken me a while to find any ducks of the breeds I was willing to take in close to me. These two are absolutely beautiful and sweet as can be.

Any little factoids about cayugas or rouens that most people don't happen to know would also be helpful.

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I quarantine for 30 days. Holderread quarantines for 6 months.

When it is time to introduce them, move them next to the others so they can meet through a fence for a couple of days. Then turn them in together.

3. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Thankyou for the input.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by