Qoestion on burning out layers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheTwoRoos, Dec 31, 2016.

1. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    A couple of my hens are around their 3 year mark, and some past 3 years and are about 4,4 1/2,and still lay pretty regular from what I see

A lot of them are just in molt. But I have a Black sex Link who has molted and been done for several weeks now (6 or more.)Anyways,like every year their combs shrivel down, but generally come back to normal sizes once molt is over. Well, hers isn't, and I haven't even seen a attempt to squat, or even look into the nests. But,my rooster still will attempt to mate her (he always mates unwilling or hens who even are no longer productive.)Is she done her job?

I also have a Easter Egger who was sitting in nest boxes, but not leaving an egg,lol.She submits to my roosters, but no longer lays and has a fairly red comb. Assuming she is just squatting because she is submissive

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Unless she is sick, the hen probably will begin to lay again. It takes some hens longer to recover from molts, especially when there is less daylight stimulating them to lay. However, I wouldn't expect her to be as productive as before--they do slow down as they get older.

3. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    From what I've read, early spring born Sex-links usually slow way down after second molt. I will always buy them early spring and eat them by 30 months, before second molt. I don't know about your Easter Egger. GC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by