Qquestion :) :D 8-)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Farmer Benjii, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Farmer Benjii

Farmer Benjii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    Vic, AUS
    When a rooster fertilizez a chicken, how long will the eggs be fertilised for?

2. Suechick

Suechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    I have no idea, but I'd love to know too. I think I read somewhere that a hen should be "serviced" by a rooster at least once a week to ensure fertility. But again, I'm not certain.

3. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    you'll get a lot of 2 week answers, and then you'll see people say they were still getting fertile eggs 4 weeks after the roo was gone...
    and if you've had a mixed flock and you want to purify for breeding they say to wait a month....

4. rosco

rosco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    I was told three repeatedly. But i've also heard 2-4 weeks. i'd really like to know as i've 15 eggs that were laid two weeks after their last sight of a rooster.

((( i collected the eggs I'm incubating at 2 - 2.5weks post rooster . so if it is less than three weeks, i might be wasting a lot of time)))))

rosco

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  5. rosco

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    Quote:go ~1/3 way down in the "egg production" section . see #13 & 14. http://www.poultryhelp.com/link-faq.html

I've
    been asking the same question for three weeks now (since day one of being the owner of a chicken). i guess everyone saying between two and four weeks is about all that can be said. --------------- If you were wanting another answer than, "it depends," so was I. --------------------------------- oh well. i doubt i find a different, more concrete answer...

-rosco

6. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

I would guess it depends on the roo and the temp/structure of the hen.

Sperm are only motile at a particular range, some are less motile then normal (roo's fault).

I would suggest in winter/fall there is a higher likelihood of 'keeping' sperm unless chickens(hens in this case) over compensate in core body temperature when it gets cold.

I would also have to look to find out where there sperm might be stored in a hen (how close to outside/cooler temps) and if bantam/standard/rumpless matters to where organs ar or how the vent/storage area is 'heated'

7. rosco

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    Quote:((((Exactly)))) --^ [​IMG]

8. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Well now you have a definite I dont know. [​IMG]

BTW for castrated rats (that would be male) the time before they can be introduced to intact femles (having nothing to do with the injury and everything to do with fertility) is 2-4 weeks also. Go figure. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by