Q's about 6 week old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Red, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    We have three 6 1/2 week old chicks, all buff orpingtons (2 boys and 1 girl). They're just finishing getting their adult feathers and are lovely golden colours and super soft to cuddle [​IMG]

Anyway, i was wondering about what age does the mother hen think the chicks are old enough to fend for themselves, or does it depend on the individual hen? Our hen Milly has started laying eggs again, but she still insists the chicks sleep underneath her at night...the chicks are half the size she is, that's gotta be uncomfortable?! One of the roo's went off to explore on his own today, and Milly started clucking and panicking. When she did find him she pecked him on the head for wandering off! Is it normal for a hen to be so protective when the chicks want a little independance?

Also is there an age when the roosters start crowing? These are the first little chicks we've ever had, so we have no idea [​IMG]
    Another one of our hens has gone broody now as well, and i'm trying to get my dad to buy some fertile eggs for her too!! [​IMG]

Any help is appreciated, thanks [​IMG]

Red

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Hey there Red, congrats on the babies. She should "kick them out" at about 8 weeks or so. I think thats about when my momma did. As for crowing......my Buffs didnt start to crow untill about 18 weeks.....maybe a little longer, I can't remember. Somewhere around there tho. I think its cute she wants them to stay babies....LOL

3. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    You are right it is an individual hen thing. I have one that will not have anything to do with her chicks at around 5 weeks and one that just finally left them in the brooder coop alone at 9 weeks last night. The poor babies did not know what to do. One finally followed her up to the roost and the other was still peeping and running in and out from one coop to the other when it was dark. I placed him on the perch but next thing I knew he was back to the booder coop. All seems well with them today so I guess they figured it out.

Crowing is also an individual thing. My Blue Orp cockerel crowed at 8 weeks. You just never know. If they are kept with older roosters around, sometimes they are quiet for quite a while so as not to draw attention from the older rooster or cockerel.

4. JDH

JDH Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2007
    So am I the only one who has 6 week old chicks crowing? [​IMG] They started at 5 weeks of age. Boots, my mille fleur chick is very good at it. RJ, my black bantam sounds like he's being strangled but he's getting better.

5. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    Thanks for your replies everyone [​IMG] I think i might have jinxed everything...

The chicks are 7 weeks old today and all of a sudden mum won't let them anywhere near her. She's pecking them and chasing the boys, and the chicks are trying to be close and get food of her and she chases/pecks at them. It's not very nice to watch and the poor chickies are so confused... [​IMG] Any further help will be much appreciated, i'm just worried Milly's gonna hurt a chick...and what about at night, does Milly want to move back into the big coop with the adult hens - Is it normally violent?!

JDH, 6 week old chicks crowing? Poor you! Hehe, i can't wait to here these two trying to crow [​IMG]
    So many questions - sorry everyone! [​IMG]

Red

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by