Q'S about the egg laying cycle of call ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chickenaddict, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    A bit of background.....
    On September 11th this year I purchased a pair of call ducks at a local swap. The kid selling them didn't have a clue as to what their age is. The hen looks like a chocolate? but her bill is quite a bit bigger then the snowy drake. I have never had ducks before so I kind of just dove right in. I thought it couldn't be much different then caring for the several bantam chickens running around here.

They spent 1 month in quarentine just like any other bird who joins our flock does. This not only gives me a chance to make sure the bird is healthy but it also gives me one on one time with the birds to get them used to me handling them and make them a bit more comfortable. The kid I bought them from I have dealt with in the past so I knew they didn't have much but a shelter, no pool or anything and fed only cracked corn.

I gave them a retired kiddie pool I had here for my nephew. They immediately jumped in and had the best time splashing around making a huge mess. I loved seeing them like that and felt good about taking them in to give them a better life. A month goes by with no issues from the new ducks, all is well for them to start going out in the yard for free range time. They immediately find the garage coop and the chickens and slide right into the flock as if they had been there the whole time. Life was great! They really enjoyed being with the flock and everyone got along....at the moment

I have seen the ducks mate in the pool so I know I have a pair and not 2 drakes. However I have not found one egg nor have I seen her in the nest working on one. I am just wondering if they hit that time of the year and don't lay eggs over winter or they are just too old to begin with. Not that I need her to lay but I was kinda looking forward to making a nice omelette with it to see if they are as tasty as people say they are. So can someone clarify the egg cycle of call ducks? I am truely clueless.....

They have only left the yard twice since I have had them and the first time was because a hawk had flown over the house freaking them out. Upon calling for them they came running back home. The second time they took off they went seperate directions. Baxter (drake) was down the block in the middle of the road calling for betty and betty was nowhere to be found. Baxter was beside himself crying for 45 minutes I thought something had gotten her and she was gone for good. We live right across the street from a lake and it never dawned on me she could have headed for the lake because the pool just wasn't doing it for her anymore. 45 minutes later she came flying back from ......THE LAKE! Since then neither have left the yard. I wonder if she went over there to lay an egg in someones yard or some bushes along the lakeshore.

I have enjoyed their company tremendously but was not prepared for the mess they make and the mold it creates if you hadn't happened to catch it right away. any ideas on what kind of waterer would work best for them without creating their own little lake in the coop? Right now I have a dish tub on the floor with a stainless steel bowl of water inside it too small for them to get into altho betty has tried, but they still slosh water all over the place running from the feeder back to the water to dirty it up and make a nice sludge in the bottom of the bowl. Tips and ideas would help ALOT as I am assuming I still have ALOT to learn about them. TIA [​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Call ducks are seasonal layers. Mine lay from the end of March thru June.

Ducks are messy. They will find a way to make a mess no matter type of waterer you have for them.

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Thanks Katy [​IMG] I am begining to figure out no waterer is gonna prevent the mess lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by