quack sexing?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cbohn80, Jul 19, 2011.

1. cbohn80

cbohn80 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    nj
    i have a few juvenile ducks(about 3 months) that only quack if i pick them up. does this mean they are male or do drakes not quack at all? they are cayugas if it helps. if the quack method isnt fully reliable when can i expect sex feathers?

2. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    Most breeds you can "quack" the females have a higher pitched voice and quack allot the males a lower voice and you have to shake them to make them do it. This is not always true as nothing in nature is ALWAYS or NEVER.

3. cbohn80

May 2, 2011
    nj
    what do you mean by shake them? i really hope i have more females because right now only 2 of 8 quack on their own and they get too stressed if i try to vent sex them

4. 1234duck

1234duck Chillin' With My Peeps

The Females make the loud "Quack, Quack, Quack" sound. ~ The Males/Drakes make a quiet "raspy" sound. You'll definetly hear the difference. If your hearing a "Quack, Quack" then you got yourself girls. Also the drakes will have "curl" feathers on their back end/butt. They should have their curl feathers by now. (mine does any ways but he's a Rouen Drake). These are very good ways to tell the sex of your ducks. <(*) ( *)> Oh, and by the way... You DON'T really want or need to shake your ducks. Good luck, ~Julie~

5. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Several websites have audio files with male and female noises on them, if you search for them. I don't have one handy right now since having to wipe my computer... all the handy saved websites are gone.

I find that just picking up a duck and walking away with it will squeeze a quack from a female. Once you know which is which, you can't miss it at all. It's either a Quack, or a donald duck style "mumbling" from a boy that's all raspy.

6. cbohn80

May 2, 2011
    nj
    well my mallards are the oldest, they are getting green on their head so i know they are male, still no curled feathers though

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    You don't have to shake them [​IMG]

The females of mallard-derived breeds make the 'quack' sound. Males of mallard-derived breeds do not quack but rather have a raspy whisper-like sound they make. You can 'sex' most breeds by 6 weeks old by the 'quack' method.
    I'm sure youtube links have been posted before showing the difference, but I'll see if I can find them again.

Not the same ones, but here's a female: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejJnoyN8V6g

Males
    :

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  8. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Males: Raspy, quieter, frog croak kind of quack.
    Females:Loud more normal quack.

9. cbohn80

May 2, 2011
    nj
    ok i know there is normally a difference in quack but i'm asking if a male has the ability to quack loudly if it really wants to

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by