Quackers and peepers advice??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by daisychick, May 4, 2011.

1. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Ok I have been trying to figure out the sex of my 8 ducks for 2 weeks. They are all 7 weeks old. I have 3 for sure loud "quackers" so I know they are the girls. The other 5 just "peep" not a raspy deep sound just a baby duck peep. Are they just not old enough yet or are my "peepers" boys????

2. ducks_rcool329

ducks_rcool329 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Black Forest, Colorado
    Check their tail feathers, the males have a single curled feather on the tail. They may be too young to see it yet.

3. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Got pics that would help [​IMG]

4. daisychick

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Too young for a drake feather. [​IMG] Sorry no pics at this moment, but they look identical to each other within their breed. White Pekins and Blue Swedish and black runners, no difference on feathers of those breeds between male and female right?? I was hoping to go by "voice" difference. I will try to get pics when I am not at work.

5. AnaD

AnaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    My girl quaked at 3 weeks and my boys peeped for about 6-8 weeks. Seems the ones who peep the longest tend to be boys...but,you might have a late bloomer.

6. daisychick

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Thanks AnaD, I will give them a few more weeks, but I am having the feeling that if they are not "quacking" by now they may be boys. That would leave me with 3 girls and 5 boys! [​IMG]

7. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    One of my 5 just quacked a little while ago. Is a quack a sure sign of being a female?
    Which way does a drake feather curl? All their tails seem to curl up, but I thought that was from the way they sit and huddle together.

I got these guys 3 weeks ago, they were ~1 week old.

8. daisychick

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    RaZ: I am new to ducks, but I have looked at pictures of the drake feather. And it is just one little curly feather that curls toward the head direction but it stick up more than the rest of the tail feathers. google it and there are some good pics of it. I have been told to wait until about 4 months or so to see the drake feather. I am just waiting and watching. [​IMG] I have also heard that the distinct "quack" sound is a female.

9. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Your quackers are girl. Yur drakes wont have their tail feathers yet but the boys will have a high pitched whistle that sounds like they are saying WHAAAAT is a high toned voice.

10. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    After posting, I went out to see if I could find that drake feather. Got this photo...
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by