Quad Cities, Illinois and Iowa

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by TheFeatheredTempest, Sep 1, 2010.

1. TheFeatheredTempest

TheFeatheredTempest Chirping

Jul 3, 2010
    NW Illinois
    Anyone out there from the Illinois or Iowa side of the Quad Cities working on changing the local ordinances? With salmonella in the news this seems like an opportune time to make a move!

2. palochknldy

palochknldy Chirping

Jun 7, 2010
    Palo, Iowa
    I am in Palo, Iowa(7 miles south of Cedar Rapids) and I had the council change the ordinance with no problem. Cedar Rapids just passed 2 weeks ago. They had a long drawn out battle with alot unneccessary steps to allow them to have chickens. They are required to take a class, buy a $25 permit, tag the chickens and after one year, all of this can be pulled if there are alot of complaints. Now would be the time to ask your council with the egg problem going on. It would give you some good leverage!

3. mommykonny

mommykonny Hatching

Sep 12, 2010
    Hi, this is my first post. [​IMG]

I'm currently living in Houston, but I'll be moving to Moline in a month. We bought a house with a half-acre, but apparently I am not legally allowed to have chickens there from what I've seen online. I plan on contacting whomever I need in order to help change that.

Unfortunately, I won't be bringing my chickens up there with us anyway...my kids and I are incredibly bummed, but our landlord here informed me today that she wants them gone ASAP. They're still young chickens are are well-kept, but she's telling me that because they're against HOA, I need to get rid of them before she tries to sell this house.

Hopefully, I can help get the laws in Moline changed so that we can have some wonderful chickens again!

~Konny

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by