Quad City Area chickens? Places To Buy? Swaps?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by farmgirlie1031, Apr 28, 2008.

1. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I live near the Quad city area in Iowa. I would like to know where are the places close by that I can buy chickens and ducks? NOT FEED STORES. I bought from the feed store and they looked healthy but within 2 weeks all but 1 died. Then went back to the feed store and all chickens looked very ill so I won't be buying from a feed store again. I think they were ill when I bought them.

I was thinking maybe I could go get some from the Mennonites in Kalona, IA. Anyone done that before? I would also be willing to go to any swap meets within an hour or so drive of Muscatine or Columbus Junction. Iowa City is not too far away either. Just wondering if anybody knows any good places around the area to get poultry from? I don't have a way to hatch my own eggs yet or I would try that.

I used to raise chickens, ducks, geese, and turkeys for 4 years at high school about 10 years ago. I was even on the poultry judging team and made it to state. LOL. I am new to having my own at my own place but not new to poultry it's just been awhile.

{edit} Thanks to an email from a kind member I now know the hours of a swap in my area. I'll probably get my flock from there. I don't need more than 25 to get started and that's probably the only amount I will keep at any one time. At least for now;P

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2008
  2. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Hi!

I am a member of the South Eastern Iowa Poultry Association. I have been to several swaps in our area. I hope that you heard about the swap in Burlington. I tend to go to places west of the QC.

Did you know that it is free to go to the show my club sponsors in Iowa City IA? It is in the fall and some show quality adults are there for sale.

I hope that you found what you are looking for!

All my best,

Karen

3. farmgirlie1031

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Quote:I went to Burlington today and came home with 11 chickens! and 2 ducklings. I'd love to see the Iowa City Show. We do lots of shopping there so we are there 2x a month at least. It's not that far of a drive. If you know when it is I would love to know.
    I've found what I need for now. LOL I wanted some more breeds and all they had left were roos so I couldn't get those today.

4. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    The eastern IA poultry show is Nov the 29 and 30th this year. Bring your earplugs its noisy in there.

What breeds are you interested in?

There is swap in Kalona. But if I were you I would take the drive up to Waverly Iowa and hit that swap.

Just search for Kalona and Waverly in this site.

Hey don't be a stranger okay?

5. farmgirlie1031

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Quote:I love Bantam of course. My dad had silkies as a child and always told stories about how sweet they were and followed him around. I really like Polish, Frizzle Cochin, Mottled Houdan, Pheonix, and Americana/Araucana. I also like rare breeds but those are what I want in my flock for now at least. I really want some Red Golden Pheasant. And more ducks if I can get away with it. LOL

I went to Kalona on Sat. and asked at a harness shop if they knew of anyone saling chickens. They didn't so I just got some great and cheaper greenhouse plants from there:)

Waverly is a bit far to drive.[​IMG] My driver won't go there but maybe later. LOL

I am so happy. I got my 1st egg today from one of the hens I got yesterday! I am expecting some Pheonix, Americana/Araucana, and silkie eggs in the mail this week:) I know not to expect much from shipped eggs but I can always hope I will get some to hatch;) My name is Cassie by the way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by