Quai Health:Coturnix quail not feeling well

Discussion in 'Quail' started by aghz, Jun 13, 2016.

1. aghz

aghz New Egg

Jun 13, 2016
    Hello, I made an account hear because I can't find quail health info online and its hard to find something informative.

OKSo Today,June 13, in the morning I notice my quail eyes were closed and I thought she was sleeping but then 2 hours later my mom saw her and she was the same we kept observing her and we noticed she wasn't her usual self.Normally early in the morn she is walking around and eating, running, eyes wide open but today she has her eyes close she opens them a bit but she looks just out of it for a bit. Yesterday and yesterday night she fine she fine so I'm not sure what's going on.
    To narrow it down this is what I noticed.
    - tired
    - sleepy
    - looks what's seems to be Confused
    - her eyes are closed
    - she scratches her eyes but has no swollen eyes and no redness.

well today she walked a bit but stopped and closed her eyes standing straight up. I got her and placed her somewhere and she is now sleeping. I don't what it could be.
    At first I thought a spider might have bit her, then maybe an infection but I don't see anything on the surface her poop seems to be the same. Could she have a cold or idk.
    Please help. I just hope its nothing serious and that she is just sleepy.

Also she is laying eggs as well but I feel like she has a good diet. But any suggestions are welcome.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC!

Give us a bit of information about the bird...

How old is she?

When did she last lay? You might give her an internal egg check. (very gently with a disposable glove on and some vaseline on your pinky, gently go into her vent about a half inch and see if you feel an egg)

How many others are kept with her? How many males and females?

How big is your pen and now many square feet does each bird have?

Is she pooping and if so, what is the consistency of it?

Is it hot at your place and is she drinking and eating?

Have you given her an exam to be sure she was not injured anywhere by another bird?

3. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Also...she may have boinked her head on the ceiling. An injury like this will cause extreme tiredness and weakness. If the don't hit too hard, they can recover in a day or two. Definitely keep her separated for now so nobody bothers her.

Keep us posted! :)

4. aghz

aghz New Egg

Jun 13, 2016
    Hello,
    -She is about 8months
    -The last time she layed an egg was on June 11th and Today is June 13th.
    -She is alone, she has her own space.
    (I do Own a guinea 4yrold gunea pig and 3yr old parakeets.)
    -where she sleeps is in a cage its 1foot in a half by 2feet and the height is a 1Foot in a half. She normally wakes up early on a daily basis and my family lets her out. She likes dirt bathing and digging.but when she wants to rest she goes in her cage on her and and she finds it safe.
    - I checked her poop today and it looks as usual a bit wet and solid like paste.
    -she has access to fresh water and food.
    It's always available.
    The temperature is usually ranging from 65 to 76 degrees.
    Anyway she became ill overnight.
    Earlier today I placed her somewhere safe with a warm cloth because her legs were cold. She ended up sleeping there for a few hours. Then she got up dranked water and ate a bit she did that twice. She also groomed herself but at the same time she looked ill and kept closing her eyes a bit.she also went into her cage took a nap there and got out went to where I had placed her before.
    She hasn't scratched her eyes or at least I haven't caught her doing so.

Thank you for the reply
    I appreciate your help.

5. aghz

aghz New Egg

Jun 13, 2016
    Correction on cage size
    1ft 1/2ft D x 2ft W x 1ft 1/2ft H

6. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Bear with me as I think out loud here. LOL...

The fact that she is pooping and it is fairly solid tells me she is not egg bound. An egg bound hen cannot poop. So for now, we can assume she is not egg bound.

She is also drinking and eating, at least a bit, so we can also, for now, assume she probably doesn't have Coccidiosis. Usually with Cocci, they stop eating and drinking.

Oh, how is her weight? Does she feel thinner than normal or is she fairly round?

She is by herself so she didn't get injured by another bird.

I am thinking she got scared of something in the night and hit her head on the ceiling. The fact that you told me over night she became ill. This is very common with quail, they panic at night if something comes prowling and they flush into the ceiling. And they do become very sleepy, tired and cold as well.

So for now, keep her warm at night. I would bring her inside if she isn't already so she stays warm enough. Is she on wire? If so, put a towel down so she can sit, stand or lay on it. Birds that have hit the ceiling are unsteady and the wire will make her colder. Feed her warmed chopped hard boiled eggs. Eggs have all the building blocks of life in them and are an excellent emergency food for sick birds. Many birds go off their feed or eat way less than they should when they are sick. So fill her up with eggs for now. They have lots of Vit B and E which will help her recover faster. Amino Acids too.

To help prevent this, put some fake or real foliage in her cage. Quail would much rather run for cover under brush, than they would to flush up when scared. But if there is no brush or cover, they go up. You can cut a branch from a tree outside and lay it in the corner and such, make a real jungle in there for her. I don't have any good pictures of this hutch, but you can see some real and fake foliage I have cut to put in the hutch for their enjoyment. Quail love to linger in natural places and feel very secure under brush...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Also in the future, keep her someplace where she is not bothered by predators and things that go bump in the night.

And if you put some branches in the cage with her, she won't flush up if she gets scared and will only run for cover. If she hits too hard on the ceiling it can kill her in the future.

Good luck! Keep her comfortable for a few days. Don't mess much with her, just leave her be until she recuperates. Let her sleep and rest her head.

Keep me posted! :)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  7. aghz

aghz New Egg

Jun 13, 2016
    Oh my thank you so much for the advice I really do appreciate it.
    Her weight yesterday was what I would call great not light nor overweight, today though she was not light but I could tell she had to eat. Which she did eat after she slept for quite a while. I felt the sleep helped and she did eat but I can still two she is a bit ill. Most of the time I let her be and sometimes she aproches me or flaps her wings at me whenever I'm putting food on her plate. She receives the food from my hand then I let eat on her own.
    When she sleeps she is on doors and when its cold out side she is indoors we have made space for her in the living room and she has found areas that she feel safe and I don't go near her because I made a rule not to approach her in those areas that ways she feels safe. You could say I spoil her but I am still learning.
    So far ill try the boiled eggs and the branches for her cage so she doesn't hurt herself I hope she starts to feel better and its nothing serious.
    I thank you so much for the tips and help. Also you have wonderful quails, they are so cute.

8. aghz

aghz New Egg

Jun 13, 2016
    [​IMG] this is her laying down on her spot.

9. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Aww....what a sweet heart. Definitely let her rest a couple of days. Even if she wants to do things, I would keep her quiet and caged. She should recuperate in a couple of days, it can take that long for head injuries to heal and the swelling to go down internally. If she is still in this condition in 2 days or worse, let me know and we will have to assess her condition then and see what other symptoms she may have developed.

You are doing a great job with her, she sure seems to love you!

Keep me posted and give her some huggies for me! :)

10. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    How is she today? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by