1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quail acting drunk and loss of balance

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Kymw90, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Kymw90

Kymw90 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2012
    Cornwall UK
    My Coop
    I'm sorry another drunk bird thread. My quail hen is acting like she is drunk and keeps falling over. Any help or tips?

2. gorabbitgo

gorabbitgo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2012
    That's probably a sign of illness or severe infection. Isolate her from any other birds, keep her warm, and try putting some apple cider vinegar in her water. Hopefully someone who's seen this behavior before in their own quail can weigh in with more specific help.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Mareks disease can cause "drunkeness" in poultry, a contagious viral infection. Botulism from bad feed can also cause stumbling, paralysis, etc...although death comes quicker with botulism than with Mareks. Poisonous plants, or even antifreeze can cause this symptom. Neurological issues from birth or even encephalitis's like West Nile, WEE or EEE can cause drunkeness.

4. She could have "boinked " her head.
    Merecks is a chicken disease and is a wasting thing, they just get skinnier and skinnier.

5. Kymw90

Kymw90 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2012
    Cornwall UK
    My Coop
    Ok I will bring her in and put her in the brooder and see how she goes. She's a cute little thing so I want to try and bring her around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by