Quail Acting Very Strange?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by rminnesota, Mar 22, 2017.

1. rminnesota

rminnesota New Egg

Mar 22, 2017
    I only have four coturnix in a pretty roomy cage. Yesterday one of the females started acting extremely oddly and just hunched down feathers up and barely moved for anything. I brought her inside today to keep an eye on her and she almost acts seizure-like, head whipping every way and rolls around or gets stuck on her back. She backs up a lot and spins in circles and seems very uncontrolled. The poop is either off-white or is a dark green. She won't eat or drink or not that I have seen anyway. I don't know much about quail diseases but does any of this sound like something specific? I would sincerely appreciate any direction or guidance, thank you!

2. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    The most likely explanation is that she's got a fright in the night and whacked her head on the roof of the cage. She should recover with a little t.l.c - they are amazingly tough birds. Her friends should remember her when it (hopefully) comes time to return her.

3. BobDBirdDog

BobDBirdDog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    X2-on JaeG's post as that sounds to be the most likely.

The poop kind of throws the deal off a little though. It could be an infection if green, coccidious, or worm.
    I have heard of eye worms causing disorientation, but doubt that is the case. I'm not saying any of the above is the case for that matter, but the poop does sound like some issue might be going on as well. Maybe something the bird ate causing the poop issue. Green usually says infection, but grass or other can effect the color. Just keep a close watch on the birdie.

Give the bird a shot of vinegar and water (mix in some sugar as well for energy) every now and then and see if that helps. About a teaspoon ACV to a cup. If the poop is real watery or bloody, you need to go ahead and (try) treat for Coccidious....hope I spelled that right.

an eye dropper works to force feed the water concoction.

but as JaeG said.......

4. GreatBreeder

GreatBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2017
    BYC
    I know this is a bad place but appropriate places are inactive/ abandoned. Can I keep chickens with quail and if so what kind of quail? Keeping 2 rir, 2 br, 2 buff orpingtons, 2 red star.

5. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    If you have the chicken disease Coryza in your country then no as chickens can carry this disease and quail, as well as other game birds, catch it from them very easily, and it's nasty. Your chickens are also large breeds so it wouldn't be appropriate as quail breeds are smaller, and the larger ones need planted aviary type cages where they feel safe hiding as they are still very wild. Japanese/Coturnix quail are the only really domesticated quail and as such are able to be kept in smaller cages and are friendly towards their owners.

6. GreatBreeder

GreatBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2017
    BYC
    Ok thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by