Quail Advice

Discussion in 'Quail' started by MadamPoofyBrow, Apr 9, 2016.

1. MadamPoofyBrow

MadamPoofyBrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2015
    I have my first quail hatching on the 18th. I just want to make sure that you feed them game bird starter? Also, can you mix in medicated chick starter for the medication? Any advice on feed or anything else is greatly appreciated!

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I feed unmedicated starter crumbles to chicks.I also give vitamins and electrolytes in their water once a week.I don't feed medicated feed until they are on pellets.This is for pheasants not quail,but they are both gamebirds.
    In N.H.,Tony.

3. MadamPoofyBrow

Jun 15, 2015
    Okay, thanks!

The eggs I am currently hatching are Corurnix.

In the future, would it be possible to house them with button quail and them NOT cross breed? I wouldn't think they could, but I've heard of some pretty strange things happening in the bird world...
    I want to get into button quail in the future and am just wondering if I need another pen or if they could share the massive one I have for my coturnix :-D

Also, with Coturnix, at what age can you tell the hens from the roos? I know you tell by their chest feathers, just not sure when it will become obvious???

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  4. 007Sean

007Sean Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Hi, i used to raise both button and cot's but had seperate pens for each. I personally think that they should be seperated but that's my opinion. As far as telling the diffrence in sex...male/ hen, monarc23, posted a thread here, a few days ago, lots of pics and info. Look for Coturnix Quail Basics: Imformation and Pictures Galore. Should answer you questions. HTH

5. Elza

Elza Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2016
    I dont know if I am feeding my king quails properly now eeekkk! I give them chick starter (think thats what its called) what else do i feed them, i did however get some good tips on my own thread but would like someone to give me a full run down on the best foods and veg the kings (button) quails can eat and what is best for protein and calcium and all that great stuff.

6. MadamPoofyBrow

Jun 15, 2015
    Thanks Sean!

I have 8/24 pips!

7. Trapper Luke

Trapper Luke Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2009
    What day are your chicks on? I have my first batch of about 20 that are on day 18 today at 5:00pm but have had only one hatch this morning at about 1:30am. [​IMG] It's starting to make be nervous nothing else is going on in there. Temp is staying 99.5-100.0 and doin my best to keep humidity 60-65% only time I open the bator is to switch out saturated wash clothes. Should I be nevrous or am I overacting to early yet.

8. MadamPoofyBrow

Jun 15, 2015
    Tomorrow is day 17. I think it depends what kind of quail what day they should hatch on??? These are my first quail, hopefully someone else will chime in.

9. cassjade6064

cassjade6064 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2016
    With my button quails I give them dry starter mix and boiled egg mixed with hot water and make it really fluffy and they eat mainly egg to start with and switch over as they want to and they are very healthy. They look forward to egg time they really love it.

10. Trapper Luke

Trapper Luke Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2009
    Are the ones your hatching right now coturnix or button quail? I've got coturnix on day 18 (19 tomorrow) n only had the one hatch so far. Making me nervous not real sure what's goin on with them guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by