Quail ain’t laying eggs

Danny C.

Songster
Jan 10, 2018
Got 20 bobwhites 7 weeks ago and live in Dallas/Fort Worth area. I have now 3 males and 9 females which were 6 months old when got them.
I feed them Wild game chow 30% protein, Groovy scratch, and water always clean. Luxury living in coop with heat lamp for the nights as far down as 15 degrees but mainly upper 30’s-50’s.
I’ve heard they don’t really lay much this time of year and a lot come April or so.
Guess just be happy when get first egg. Any thoughts or is that normal?

Yep, they will start to lay in the spring. They can take the cold weather as long as they don't have a draft on them and aren't in wet conditions.

Yep, they will start to lay in the spring. They can take the cold weather as long as they don't have a draft on them and aren't in wet conditions.
Thanks! I did loose 6 after rain and then strong cold front 3 weeks ago. Lost one that got out and my lab retrieved it and last one to ? fighting are something. Blood on top of head and part of wing. These 12 seem to be hardy enough and adapt after coming from quail farm in 75 degree barn raised.
Chocolate cake for first egg.

Funny. I have a quail that’s not laying too. I have cortunix and got them all at the same age. All but this one female is not laying. I know, cuz she’s separated with another male. Can it be just infertile?

Funny. I have a quail that’s not laying too. I have cortunix and got them all at the same age. All but this one female is not laying. I know, cuz she’s separated with another male. Can it be just infertile?

Coturnix males can be a bit on the aggressive side so if your hen has no where to hide or get away from his attentions she will be feeling stressed, and stressed hens don't lay well (if at all). Coturnix males need at least 3 females to keep him busy if kept in a small cage. :)

Back
Top Bottom