Quail and Chickens -- no, not what you're thinking

Discussion in 'Quail' started by SkyWarrior, Dec 6, 2011.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    I was looking at the threads about quail and chickens and someone said that quail could get a disease from chickens that is very nasty.

So, if that's true, I'd like to know what it is, as I do have chickens in other pens. I have no desire to add my quail to the chickens--that would be insane. [​IMG]

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Mycoplasma- Coryza

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    When keeping quail and chickens, make sure to use careful bio security. Use different shoes to enter chickens runs and quail aviaries. Use rubber gloves or wash your hands between visiting quail and chickens. Do not share feeders, waterers or any cleaning utensils. This sort of thing.

It is not as scarey as it sounds really. But disease can be carried on your hands, feet and clothes. Just be as careful as you can and you will be fine.

4. whitejerabias

whitejerabias Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2011
    Bumping this up as I am getting chickens in the spring, but also want to raise some quail. Working in the restaurant industry I am well versed in cross contamination. Is there also a risk of disease from quail to chickens or just chickens to quail. Is is just housing that they need separated or entirely different environments? I'm thinking of a scenario where one or the other birds are free ranging. Is it okay if they range on the same uh, range, should I let them out at separate times or should they be always confined to their runs if I plan to have both types of bird?

5. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quail need to be housed on their own, not only for disease transfer, but being that they are very small compared to chickens, quail can get killed. So offer quail their own space. Quail do not free range. Well they will once. And you won't see them again. You can raise them in pens or in an aviary. In the pens you can offer them a run to get out of their enclosure or in an aviary they will always be "free ranging" in their aviary.

6. whitejerabias

whitejerabias Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2011
    Thanks for your response. So assuming I keep the birds apart, the quail (in their pen) will be fine if the chickens free range close by?

7. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    i think the main problem is when poo is involved.

8. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You can keep chickens near by without much issue, as long as you practice good sanitation. Feather dust can blow around, but if not RIGHT next to each other, it shouldsn't be a problem. My quail and chickens only have a 20 foot buffer zone, and nothing seems to creep into eithers area, unless I drag it in..such as Mibotsu says, poop on feet, crud on your hands.

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Considering that mycoplasmas and coryza, the 2 most commonly transferred between the two species, are both respiratory illnesses, poo has nothing to do with it.

10. jerryb

jerryb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Southern Michigan
    so here is the next obvious question to this thread:

is there a risk to the chickens from the quail or is the risk only to the quail from the chickens?

I have a small flock of chickens and would like to keep some quail. I can set up an area away from the chickens with ease and plan to use an elevated aviary. if the risk is mainly to the quail then I feel like I can move ahead safely and rely on caring for the quail before checking in on the chickens, good hand washing and distance to handle things.

Jerry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by