quail and fantails

Discussion in 'Quail' started by camchick, Nov 8, 2011.

1. camchick

camchick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    I asked this in the pigeon and dove section but thought I should ask here too. Can I put fantails in an aviary with my quail?

Thanx guys

2. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    I think it depends, I was told no go on keeping RN doves with bobwhite as they tend to be aggressive. Fantails might do ok with some cots, gambles, or valleys. I'm not possitive, guess we'll see if anyone else chimes in.

3. Blob Chicken

Blob Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    Depends. What sort of quail ,and are the fantails breeding ??

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    You shouldn't have any problems with coturnix. If your aviary is heated you can put buttons in there too. I wouldn't do it with more 'exotic' quail species though, not sure of their temperament. Definitely would not try with bobwhites!

5. camchick

Jul 22, 2011
    Ok thanks guys. The problem is I have two aviaries and both have quail in at the minute. One has cots so I should be ok there but the other side has cots and bobs in...

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:You really shouldn't keep coturnix with bobs, bobwhites are very aggressive.

7. camchick

Jul 22, 2011
    Thanks for the advice. A lot of people said the same but mine have been together for 3 months and not 1 problem so far. I only have bob hens that were raised with cots so maybe that's why?

8. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    That makes a little difference, but believe me, once you have a problem you have a BIG problem. You could wind up going out there one day to a bunch of dead coturnix. Might not happen, but that's a bad way to learn 'I told you so'.....

9. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I keep my Bobs with my cots and they are fine, plus they weren't raised together. My cots are the ones killing my bob hens. [​IMG]

10. camchick

Jul 22, 2011
    That's not good... And everyone says its bobs that are aggressive!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by