1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Quail and nightcrawlers?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by shelleyd2008, Mar 10, 2009.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Just wondering if these were okay to feed my quail? I have started gardening [​IMG] and my son is a nut when it comes to digging the worms out of the dirt! We gave them a few yesterday, but I just wanted to check and make sure it was okay to feed them nightcrawlers dug out of the yard? They really seemed to like them, so I hope they are okay! [​IMG]

2. linebacker

linebacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2007
    North West Tennessee
    It won't hurt them at all.

Brad

3. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
  4. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    That's what I thought, just wanted to make sure. These birds aren't for eating anyway, this is the start of my breeder 'colony'. Thanks guys [​IMG]

5. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    yeppers other than the risk of some wormies theres not much of a risk, it's just like letting them forage on the ground. [​IMG] You may wanna worm them eventually though as im sure even if htey'r enot for eating it may make them skinny? Im not sure though.

I raise tiger wormies for mine, have been for several months now....still in most of the breeding phase but when I do give them some they go crazy [​IMG]

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Oh I know!! The buttons and the baby pharaohs really loved them! The jumbos were kind of worried about them, but they caught on soon enough! My son was holding some through the top of the pharaohs brooder and making them jump for them [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by