Quail and other birds

Oh, what type of chickens? :D

Quail and chickens can be kept together in the same area, even forage together during the day. It just depends on what breed & your individual set-up. If you want to keep them together unsupervised, you might want to keep small chickens, like silkies and seramas. They're 4-6lbs. Bigger chickens, like SFH or Cochins can reach 8lbs (or more!), and may over-power quail.

There are also concerns about diseases (esp coryza). The fear/issue seems to be bigger in the US than other areas of the world. There's a lot of farmers I know locally (here in Ontario) who raise both quail & chickens together without issue. And I know of many others over the ocean who do the same. The key is good genetics, immunity building, good diet, fresh & organic foods (esp access to the dirt/grass).

I've been hearing a few rumors that the Texas A&M aren't as genetically strong (immune-wise) as the other coturnix. Which may mean they're more vulnerable to coryza. However, they're just rumors so it could easily be due to poor raising/breeding habits from the individual farmers. ie, raising them on wire w/o access to dirt, raising them without chickens so they have no chance at building up immunities, inbreeding/raising for fast growth or high numbers rather than health, etc.

Back on to chickens & quail habits. Quail do not roost like chickens. They'd very much enjoy little hide-aways, and love to nest in things like old log piles, so you could build that up in a corner of the run for the quail. You can also plant some tough grasses or even shrubs in the run if it's big enough. The chickens will keep a thriving (to your zone/area) plant pruned back & the quail can happily rest or dust under it.

If you're worried about the chickens scratching up the roots you could leave the plants in pots. Would look just as pretty in a run & be easy to relocate outside the run if the shrub needs a rest from over-pruning.

Best of luck!

Currently a real mix of brown egg layers, but moistly Plymouth Barred Rock chickens. Pen size is 25 feet x 25 feet square. Lowest 2 feet of pen is logs and then 4 feet of 1 inch chicken wire. Think to many gasps in the logs four quail to escape through. So they are in galvanised metal rack system. 8 slots on one line and 6 in the other. Will post a picture tomorrow. Currently chickens are cleaning up after the quail not the other way.

Oh I see. Love PRs. Yeah, the quail definitely would need more protection & smaller gaps in the fences. 1 inch chicken wire is big enough to let a weasel in. They might not risk attacking a huge chicken, but would definitely go for a small quail. Good to keep them in their own pen for now. If ever you do decide to upgrade the run, go for 1/2" wire mesh all around.

Back
Top Bottom