quail and pheasants??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by chicken head34, Jul 8, 2011.

1. chicken head34

chicken head34 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    middleburg
    hello,[​IMG] Can you keep quail and pheasants in the same pen??

2. IwannaBEaMERMAID

IwannaBEaMERMAID Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    I was wondering the same thing. . . . [​IMG]

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I would keep them separate if I were you. Pheasants can kill quail if they are not docile enough. And I am not sure about passing disease to each other. So I would keep them in separate quarters. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  4. chicken head34

chicken head34 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    middleburg
    Thanks, twocrowsranch:)

5. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

I think Ringneck pheasants and bob white would live happily together

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quail + Pheasant = Dead Quail.... Disease Isnt An Issue Since Both Are Susceptible To The Same Poultry Illnesses... So Mixing Pheasants With Chickens Is Just Like Mixing Quail With Chickens+ Much Bad Juju. As Well Both Have The Same Dietary Needs, So Thats Not An Issue. Same Is Relatively True Of Housing As Well... Behavior-wise? Now Thats An Issue!

Virtually All Pheasant Speces Are Way Too Active, Agile, And Agressive And Size Is On Their Side. The Results Would Be A 1 Sided Gamebird Form Of Genocide.

There Have Been Occurances Of Pheasants Killing Turkeys And Peafowl Through Violent Attacks.... The Lil Quail (even The Little Junkyard Dog Bob Whites) Dont Stand Much Of A Chance. Unless Being Housed In Very Small Numbers In An Aviary Thats Excessively Huge And Properly Structured Your Results Will Be Rather Unpleasant.

7. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

And there is also a gamebird farm near me that keeps there ringneck and bobs together with no problems

8. pheasantfreak

pheasantfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Preston, idaho
    i keep ringnecks, valley and bobwhite in the same pen without any problems

9. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    The pheasants will usually kill the quail, it might work though. In most cases you end up with dead quail.

10. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    So whats the real answer yes are no. One guy says yes the other guy says no. If you've done it could you explain how you did it. I might be interested in doing this. I have a big flight pen that's 300 sq ft & have around 70 Bob's that are two months old could I add a few pheasants are not a good idea. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by