Quail and shelter?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Tikkajazz94, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok. MY Research continues...

If I Built a Shelter and put them in the hay shed, Would that be good for the winter for up here in Canada??? There will be ha this winter in there. But Other birds made nests in the Instillation, Would that still be good?

And for the spring/summer/fall days, Can I have a outside shelter, somewhere they can walk around? Away from the Wind and rain?

2. Tikkajazz94

Ok, I got told by a friend (Different and same forum) that getting a rabbit hutch is the easiest way. So I looked on kijiji and Found some Rabbit hutches (Used) for $180, Is that a good price? Another for $200. They are both just down the road from me in a Hamlet.

3. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    Quote:It depends, what size are they and what wire they used? I built my 4'x8' rabbit hutch for about $65.00 dollars. I also used every piece of recycled wood I could find. $180 seems highly priced when you could build your own for cheaper!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  4. Tikkajazz94

its 8'x5x2. clean well maintained hutch, can be used in winter too

I could post the link if nobody minds​

5. C&Rman

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    Ok! Cause that doesn't sound like a fair deal.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  6. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    A link is good, the trick with quail is they must have sameness, same feed, same pen, same mates, same water bottle... any change and they will rebel and not give any eggs.

7. Tikkajazz94

I should say thats the 200$ one.

Here is the $180:
    It is about 5 feet in length 2 feet deep and is two story's high at about 6 feet! It has not been painted yet or it could be sided to match any out door building!​

8. Tikkajazz94

9. C&Rman

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    No that doesnt sound fair even with 2 levels. I think the best thing you could do is build one.

10. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Well it's your money. Is it worth 180 to you to buy instead of self-build? Do you have theskills to self build? I can't answer this for you. Mine were made in 2 hours, for almost nothing (price of hardware cloth and a few hinges.).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by