Quail-appropriate food in less then 50lb bags?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Rainsong, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Rainsong

Rainsong Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2009
    Beaverton, OR
    I can't seem to find a high enough protein feed- 20% was the highest I've found - in small enough quantities. Two little Button Quail aren't going to eat a 50lb bag of feed before it goes bad, and that is ALL I've seen.

Do they even make this stuff in smaller bags? Or should I just give up and order a 5 or 10 pound bag from online?

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I don't know if they do make the higher protein feeds in small bags, but you could always offer meal worms or egg yolks to up the protein. Or buy a big bag and sell the rest, though I've always fed my buttons 20% with no problems. When I tried to switch them to a higher protein, they stopped laying [​IMG]

3. canter6

canter6 Cooped up

Oct 12, 2009
    Dacula,GA.
    Quote:Apparently no one markets game bird/chick/turkey starter in protein levels over 21% in bags less than 50#.
    I don't know why.

Of course, 20% should be fine as a standard ration.

4. Rainsong

Oct 12, 2009
    Beaverton, OR
    Quote:Apparently no one markets game bird/chick/turkey starter in protein levels over 21% in bags less than 50#.
    I don't know why.

Of course, 20% should be fine as a standard ration.

I can't even find 16-20% in less then 50lbs bags LOL

If 20% is ok, would "egg food" from the petstore work then? Smaller container, and costs more per ounce, but... $10 vs almost $20 for shipped food, or $14 for stuff that will go bad. Not sure I could find anyone to split a bag with me - I certianly don't know anyone IRL who would need it.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Is there a feed store in the area that has bulk bins?

6. Rainsong

Oct 12, 2009
    Beaverton, OR
    Quote:Not that I know of. There are three I know of. I forgot about one of them - I've avoided them since I first got the rabbits, and their off-brand food was not well-recieved. It's close by, too- I'll have to go over there and see what they've got, but it seemed to be mostly off-brand stuff. If it ends up being like the rabbit food, I'll end up with quail who only eat because, well... it's food. And it's there.... and you have to eat. [​IMG]

I was hoping for bulk bins! It would have worked well!

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Acadiana aviaries sells lonestar repackaged into smaller bags. On a small button board I went to quite a few people that only had a couple buttons ordered their feed that way. You do have to pay shipping that way though. http://www.zebrafinch.com/Feed.html

Manna Pro also sells a gamebird showbird feed in small 5lb bags. I've seen it at our local orscheln's chain feed store many times. If you know a store that sells manna pro products they might be able to order it for you. http://www.mannapro.com/game_show_bird.html

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  8. Rainsong

Oct 12, 2009
    Beaverton, OR
    Quote:Acadiana was actually the place I was thinking of ordering from online [​IMG] I'll call the feed store that was listed on Mann Pro's site and see if they have the smaller bags first, though. Thank you all, very much!

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    If they don't have it, they 'should' be able to order it for you. [​IMG]

10. Rainsong

Oct 12, 2009
    Beaverton, OR
    Blast it- I called and she doesn't have any of it- and did NOT sound keen on ordering it.

When I get paid or Friday (Which ever comes first) I'll just order some from Acadiana Aviaries.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by